Talk

Advanced search

REALLY basic mob. phone question......laugh if you so desire.

(9 Posts)
Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 13:22:40

Have left my mobile at work - won't be there for a week or so.

I have a v. old Nokia, but it doesn't seem to have any 'network' coverage. It WAS on Tesco about 2 years ago - called the (Un)Help Centre, but the autovoice isn't of any use. There is no logo on the phone screen denoting a network.

How can I tell if it is on any network still, and if it isn't on any can I just get a voucher and load it with that. Just want to avoid spending a tenner on a voucher IF it won't allow access to a network.
tia

bigbadtiger Mon 29-Aug-11 13:25:49

Tesco do cancel the sims if they go unused for a while (I had that happen to an old one). You should just be able to get a new sim and put it in. If you get another Tesco one then there shouldnt be any problem about it being locked to a particular provider (as the phone was OK with Tesco before)

exexpat Mon 29-Aug-11 13:26:48

Have you tried calling the number of the old phone? But I would guess if it hasn't been used at all for two years, it will have been automatically deregistered and the number quite possibly reallocated to someone else - depending on the network, I think they often only give you 3-6 months without using a PAYG phone before doing this.

You may need to get a new sim card with a new number (assuming it is an unlocked phone). Or just go and get a new really basic PAYG phone - might only cost you a tenner anyway.

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 13:30:42

right - just called it and results in a continous tone - so nothing doing on any network.

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 13:41:19

ok - off to shop for cheapest sim/phone deal for the week.

thanks for all the advice.smile

bigbadtiger Mon 29-Aug-11 13:56:17

You dont necessarily need a new phone - the sim is the gateway to a network, so if that isnt active you will have no connection, it says nothing at all about whether the phone will work with an active sim.

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 14:02:27

bigbad - last time I used the phone it was working fine, and I use it now only for the alarm function. Am sure it will work with a replacement sim if this one is now defunct.

SquongebobSparepants Mon 29-Aug-11 14:25:02

When my phone conked out and was being fixed I got a cheapy £4 phone from carphone warehouse. They found it really hard to understand that I wanted the cheapest phone. And then I wasn't allowed to buy it without £10 credit, so it cost £15. Still not too bad for a spare.
Is handy for prank calling mates though...

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 16:29:30

job done - 99p for a new sim, £10 for top up voucher, which will see me for the week.
again thanks for your illuminations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now