Talk

Advanced search

I'm trying to connect a laptop to a wi-fi and its asking for WEP - where can I find it?

(9 Posts)
MrsS01 Sun 28-Aug-11 15:05:58

The router is a BT home hub 2 set up as a WEP network, there is a serial number, WAP number but no WEP number on there. Where can I find out what it is?

Alternatively, how can I change my laptop to ask for the WAP number instead?

BadgersPaws Sun 28-Aug-11 16:11:56

Have you tried the WAP number?

What is the history of this router? Has anyone changed it?

The computer should ask for the password details that the router tells it it needs, so this does seem to be the router doing this and not your computer.

ptiger Sun 28-Aug-11 16:17:08

Its unlikely you will find a WEP key they have been superseded by WAP. Assuming you are using Windows, Click on Control panel, network settings and go into the wireless network settings, when you get to where you input the key there should be drop down menu giving you the option of choosing WAP. or wap2. Hope this helps

MrsS01 Sun 28-Aug-11 19:33:17

i tried the wap number but it didn't accept it, so assumed it wants a wep number as its a wep secure network not a wap network. I've tried it on a wap network and it connects fine with the wap number. I'm stumped

BadgersPaws Sun 28-Aug-11 19:50:34

"I've tried it on a wap network and it connects fine with the wap number."

So the computer is telling you that it's a WEP network yet using the WPA number connects fine?

In that case I'd suggest using the WPA number for the moment.

Once onto the network I'd then go to the router config page (I'm not sure about BT, you should have instructions, it's often something like http://192.168.1.1) and check for certain what the security is.

WPA is better than WEP anyway so that's the one to use if you've got the choice.

If it really is WPA then quite why your computer is reporting it as WEP is a question, the router should be shouting out "I'm here and I use this method of security", the computer shouldn't be the one guessing.

BadgersPaws Sun 28-Aug-11 19:52:03

Oh hold on, a quick re-read I think I've got the wrong end of the stick...

You can connect on someone else's WPA network but not your own?

OK, the answer is still to check that router config page. However if you can't connect to it wirelessly then grab a network cable and plug yourself in physically. That cuts all the wireless fluff out of the equation and is far more reliable.

MrsS01 Sun 28-Aug-11 20:05:13

Badgers - that's correct it will connect to a different WPA network but not my WEP network. I also tried that 192.168.1.1 to try and find it - but it took us to Linksy's not to BT hub page? I didn't set it up so I don't know why its a WEP - under network it says BT Homehub WEP Secure.

We have a newer router and I'm tempted to use that but don't want to cock up our first laptop! The 2nd laptop needs to be wireless as its to be used upstairs.

Also, what confuses me is I connected the router to the PS3 and that just asked for the WAP number and connected fine.

Confused!

BadgersPaws Mon 29-Aug-11 10:49:01

"I also tried that 192.168.1.1 to try and find it - but it took us to Linksy's not to BT hub page?"

It's possible that Linksys make the BT Home Hub, I'm really not sure, but you're hitting a router config page from somewhere....

Are you sure that you're really connected to your own home network and not somebody else's?

When you tried that address how were you connected to the router? With a cable?

"Also, what confuses me is I connected the router to the PS3 and that just asked for the WAP number and connected fine."

I'm a bit thrown by that as well, I've never seen a computer get the network security type wrong.

Again the obvious thing to ask is to double check that you're on the right wireless network. And the real solution here is to get a network cable, turn off wireless networking and connect physically to that home hub and double check all of its settings.

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Aug-11 10:51:36

"I've never seen a computer get the network security type wrong."

I've seen a Windows 7 laptop get darn confused when a router has the option WPA/WPA2 (so much so that I 'fixed' the router on WPA2 and then laptop was happy to connect). Mind you it was over a year ago and I gave the laptop to my sister and B-i-L (after making sure their new Be Unlimited router, and subsequently their Plusnet and BT routers are set to WPA or WPA2 but not WPA/WPA2)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now