Talk

Advanced search

Can some kind person please help me value a second hand computer?

(16 Posts)
MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 08:25:28

... because I am clueless on this front!

My neighbour is selling his computer which is a few years old and I need one. It has a better spec than mine, but I have no idea how much to offer.

Spec is:

PC Win Vista (this will mean something to someone, but not me!)
Intel core 2 quad
2.40 GHZ
4 GB ram
300 GB HD

He also has a 19" flat screen monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse with it.

Has anyone any idea a) what all this means grin and b) what it's worth.

Thank you!

Catslikehats Sat 27-Aug-11 08:40:34

Firstly I'd ask him how much he wants for it. Always the best way to start negotiations. Then express surprise whatever he says grin

I don't think second hand computers are worth very much at all to be fair and I'd work on the basis that he is unlikely to sell it to anyone else, they certainly don't fly off the shelves at ebay.

Also bear in mind what you could get a new computer for.

HotChip Sat 27-Aug-11 09:30:25

DP says no more than £100. He builds computers for a hobby.

The novatech website is good for baseline prices.

StringOrNothing Sat 27-Aug-11 09:33:32

Windows Vista isn't a good idea, it was a fairly iffy operating system that was only around for a little while, most people went straight from the one before to the one after. But it's not disastrous if you can get the machine dirt cheap and it will do the job I guess.

MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 09:42:46

Thanks ladies!

I know he wanted £150 for it, but my gut feeling was that this was too much for a second hand computer.

I shall offer him £100. Thank you smile

MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 09:44:23

Whoops - missed your post, String.

Can you explain an operating system to me? (I really am this clueless grin) Is it like XP?? Is that an operating system??

StringOrNothing Sat 27-Aug-11 09:50:27

Yes, Vista is the one after XP. Computers less than errrrm, 2 years old?, will have Windows 7 now.

StringOrNothing Sat 27-Aug-11 09:52:10

And yes, 100 quid is the top of what's reasonable to pay.

niceguy2 Sat 27-Aug-11 12:39:12

I'd say given it has a monitor & wireless keyboard, it's probably worth a smidgen more. I'd go to £120-£130 as long as the monitor/keyboard is a good make and not some cheapo crap.

MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 14:20:17

So would it be possible to wipe it and load XP instead, which I already have, or even purchase Windows 7??

Thanks Niceguy - I'll start low though wink

Snorbs Sat 27-Aug-11 17:04:48

Vista's not that bad provided it's had all the updates applied. Windows 7 is a bit nicer and a bit more polished but, for most home uses, you'd be hard pushed to notice much difference.

StringOrNothing Sat 27-Aug-11 18:31:35

I wouldn't say that Vista is bad enough to be worth the trouble or expense of down/upgrading, especially if you're a bit crap at computers, but it is a negative point.

niceguy2 Sat 27-Aug-11 18:32:34

Personally I found Vista to be a big pile of steaming poo. Every version of Windows I've installed prior to it being released....except Vista. When I built my beast of a PC, I had a choice.....XP or Vista....I chose XP.

The ultimate example was at work when someone accidentally wrongly ordered 200 Vista licenses. These were sat in a box in the IT room. Now I tell you if those were XP or Win7 licenses the packages would have grown legs. But they all sat in the box!

I'd say Motherjack, if you get Vista then you may do well to consider getting Win7 from Software4Students.

MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 19:36:45

This is all good stuff - thank you. The only bit of demanding software I use is AutoCAD and Adobe Photoshop, so hopefully it won't fall over then?

"bit crap at computers". Yup - that would be me!

Lol at steaming pile of poo grin That website looks almost too good to be true, Niceguy... but a cursory google show that it is all good. Wow. Thanks for that!

I think on balance I will make him an offer and ride with Vista for a while to see how I get on. If I don't, do I need to buy the upgrade package for Vista or the full wipe and caboodle? Is there an end difference between the two?

Thank you one and all. I really appreciate all of this input. I can work software, but computer operating systems generally defeat me in the end.

niceguy2 Sat 27-Aug-11 23:34:44

Photoshop & Autocad can be very demanding. So see how you get on with Vista.

In theory you can upgrade from Vista to Win7 but it may be worth starting with a clean slate to clear out any rubbish. So backup everything (docs, photos, music etc) then wipe it.

The main difference between Vista & Win7 is that Win7 works. Think of Vista as a donkey and Win7 as a horse. Both will get you there eventually but you'd rather go by horse!

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Aug-11 05:17:55

As earlier mentioned, given wireless kbd/mouse (20+ new) and a 19" flat screen - probably 50+ s/h, 75-125 new, and a 4 GB RAM/ 300 GB HD system, I'd be happy to pay 150++, personally, and I am generally a scrooge (as I have been given over a dozen desktop and laptop machines over past 3-4 years, so would rarely put hand in pocket!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now