Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

..'caller withheld their number' message on ansamachine?

(10 Posts)
badmove Thu 25-Aug-11 17:55:32

When I pressed 1471, my ansamachine told me that the ..'caller withheld their number' .

'Does this mean that an individual actively did this..or can it just be the automatic message of a company cold calling, etc, etc?

Panzee Thu 25-Aug-11 17:56:51

It could be a switchboard/company number.
Also my number is ex directory, and it comes up as 'withheld'.

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Aug-11 12:16:23

It is more common for a firm's calls to be number 'unknown' or 'international'

For 'withheld' it usually requires the caller to prefix the dialled number with 141 (or on a mobile, to tell the network to keep the mobile number private).

There are several types of ex-directory - simplest means just not being in printed directory but it does not force outgoing calls to be 'number withheld'.

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Aug-11 12:19:10

I'd say it is most likely an individual did this.

Firms know that customers can opt to have 'reject number withheld calls' which guarantees they'd never get through to the destination number!

hocuspontas Sun 28-Aug-11 12:26:29

An individual can pay to have their number always withheld without having to 141 every time. (Or used to, I don't know whether this is still available or not). So it might not be someone actively not wanting you to know who called you IYSWIM.

StringOrNothing Sun 28-Aug-11 12:29:25

Doctors, hospitals and schools often pop up as "number withheld" as does anyone ex-directory (eg my aunt, who's a GP).

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 28-Aug-11 12:30:07

Outbound call centres based in the UK have to display/1471 a non chargeable number.
International ones not so.

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Aug-11 21:28:08

"Outbound call centres based in the UK have to display/1471 a non chargeable number." - any pointers to where this is 'required' please ?

Only ask because I remember reading that UAX (? - some pretty old design) exchanges offered multiple lines for businesses, and didn't send the number.

Not convinced there is any requirement for a non-chargeable number either, as some services 'present' an 0845 number.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 28-Aug-11 21:31:49

It's a DMA and Ofcom guideline. Will find it for you. If not now at work on Tuesday. Not the law but good practise for dialler management.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 28-Aug-11 21:33:50

Here
Obviously doesn't apply though for manual dials!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now