Talk

Advanced search

Trying to transfer data from Macbook hard drive to PC laptop using an SATA 2.5 caddy...

(4 Posts)
TimeWasting Wed 24-Aug-11 21:32:16

It appears to be recognising the caddy and the hard drive, but I can't do anything with it.
Is this because it's a mac drive and the damn pc won't talk to it?

TimeWasting Wed 24-Aug-11 21:49:24

I need to do this tonight if I'm doing it, so a shameless bump and plea for assistance!

prism Wed 24-Aug-11 23:04:12

That is indeed the reason. The hard drive is formatted in a way that the PC can't read. If you could get the PC hard drive out into the caddy, you could write to it from the Mac, if that's any help. If you absolutely have to do it this way, you can buy software for the PC that will enable it to read and write to the Mac drive:

www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

Otherwise set up some kind of file sharing and copy it that way?

TimeWasting Wed 24-Aug-11 23:10:10

The mac is completely fried and I'm shipping it off to the insurers maintenance/inspection people, so they can confirm what Apple already told me and wanted to try get my stuff off it first.
I'll get it back, but wanted to check and back it up first.

If I get a new mac (fingers crossed the insurers come up with the goods!) I guess it'll be more straightforward.

Also, the caddy I bought is broken now. Cheap shite.

Not having a great time technically. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now