Talk

Advanced search

killed my iphone ..apple replacement service

(15 Posts)

My iphone died yesterday.. poor thing (a 3G) fell off the arm of my sun lounger onto the patio.. amazingly the screen is intact but dead(white with weird lines) and when I took the sim card out some plastic bits fell out too and case is broken!

I has been repaired (water damage and screen) before but this time I think that's it and my insurance won't repair as I had it fixed alreadysad

I have been told that APple do a replacement service for out of warranty phones.. does anyone know about this?

niceguy2 Tue 23-Aug-11 12:08:53

Strange how your insurance won't replace it? I didn't think there were limits like that.

Anyway, Apple do a replacement service but not sure they'll have 3G's. Perhaps 3GS's. The cost isn't cheap though so by all means find out but you may be better off looking at eBay for a replacement.

Yeah my insurance is thro my bank account..which has JUST changed its limits for repair.. had a new screen in Jan and a water damage repair in June... that's IT two repairs onlysad

Guess I'll go and see what they can do;/

niceguy2 Tue 23-Aug-11 21:07:25

Ah ok, i see. Flipping heck. May I suggest when you do get a new phone, you may want one of these cases?

Amazon Link

LOL and thanks for the link.. I shall get one!! I appear to be the grim reaper to all things technical... (killed many windows and one macbook...flushed my iphone down the loo etc etc
) and am just THE most hamfisted person ever, but my iphone is my organiser, and my preciousssssssss grin

ihatecbeebies Thu 25-Aug-11 10:03:43

Yup they replace out of warranty phones (and yes ofcourse they have 3G phoneshmm) but it depends how much out of warranty if you want a free replacement - they do goodwill gestures too.

If it's way out of warranty then they'll sell you a new replacement, 3G is £55.

Well I'm unbelievably peed off right at this moment... I did a 60 mile trip to the nearest apple store.. they replaced my phone (but it's £139 not £55 sadly) drove 60 mile home with my new one.....

and it doesn't work. No sound. Can't make calls, receive calls, nothing. Settings are all correct..even tried a restore. So now I have to make another 120 mile round trip to have the replacement replaced. I am NOT happy .

Arggh!

ihatecbeebies Thu 25-Aug-11 17:08:41

I would be so angry if that was me! You should go back and put in a really angry complaint and see if they give you it for free wink

I broke my iPhone 3G a fortnight ago and they said they'd replace it for £55 cos it was out of warranty (but to be fair I was on my 3rd free iPhone too cos I kept breaking them blush)

They upgraded me to a 3Gs and were very apologetic smilesmile Just as well as I clocked up 240 miles in the process!!!

Am now looking up the case suggested by Niceguy2 as I can't kill any more phones!!

Glitterknickaz Sun 28-Aug-11 12:06:38

for future reference this site is good when you haven't got warranty cover and need repairs

MollieO Sun 28-Aug-11 12:10:34

Can someone please do a link for the Apple replacement service. My 3GS died about six months ago and Carphone Warehouse wanted £169 to get it repaired and then weren't even sure if the proposed repair would work (phone doesn't work as a phone but still works on wifi for everything else).

niceguy2 Sun 28-Aug-11 12:30:52

Hi MollieO. Go to the Apple store and speak to one of their Genius's. You can book an appt thru their website and it's worth doing cos it does get very busy. Their customer service is excellent.

MollieO Sun 28-Aug-11 18:49:26

Thx niceguy. I'm going to have a go at the various options they suggest on the website to see whether that works. Carphone Warehouse were so unhelpful. Means I won't be getting my next phone through them with such rubbish customer service. They didn't bother to suggest that I go to an Apple store to try and get it sorted.

I'd always go straight to Apple.. even tho they had given me a duff phone, their customer service was impeccable..and they were keen to make amends! You do need to book an appointment at the genius bar but it's worth it, and they fix things quickly. We are Apple family.. all macbooks and imacs and while problems are rare, if they happen they are sorted very quicklysmile

GhoulLove Sun 09-Oct-11 21:22:28

Bumping 'cause I drowned my Iphone. SOmehow managed to flick it out my dressing gown pocket straight into the loo when switched on.

So far I have wrapped it in a small towel and placed on a radiator overnight.
Sort of worked apart from home button not working, backlight is erractic.
Left it for a few more hours as I was having to travel home somewhere warm and dry.
Came on but now does not recognise SIM card.
Have removed SIM card and it is now in a tub with grains on a hot water bottle.

will get a cover next time <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now