Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can i have 2 itunes libraries on one laptop?

(11 Posts)
cheesesarnie Mon 22-Aug-11 12:10:19

dh has his library on my laptop for his ipod.i just got a 2nd hand shuffle,can i make myself a new library without it messing up dh's?i tried to download itunes again but it started wiping his crap music.

BadgersPaws Mon 22-Aug-11 12:20:15

Why would you actually want a new library?

You could just set the Shuffle up to either sync only certain playlists that you set up on iTunes (e.g. your music) or set it to manual sync and then just pick and choose yourself what music you want to put on it.

You can have iTunes set up and use a different music library, instructions for this are here support.apple.com/kb/HT1589, but it might be an overly complex solution to a pretty simple problem.

cheesesarnie Mon 22-Aug-11 12:51:26

oooh i dont get itgrin.i just dont want dh's crap music on my shuffle!
i'll have another look see if i can see what your saying.

thanks!

LeBJOF Mon 22-Aug-11 12:54:37

Yes, just set up a separate log-in for you on the computer.

LeBJOF Mon 22-Aug-11 12:55:30

You know, a different user account (in case I didn't sound clear then).

BadgersPaws Mon 22-Aug-11 13:17:19

OK.

The easiest thing to do is to see if you can manage with playlists. Don't mess around creating another library or an account unless this doesn't do what you want it to. Creating a new account/log in would be the last thing I would do if your machine is all happily set up to be shared between the pair of you and this is the only "problem" you're having.

Set yourself up a playlist in iTunes. Click the little plus button down at the bottom left and call it "Cheese's Playlist" or something. Then copy what music you want into it.

Then plug in the iPod Shuffle.

Follow the instructions here:
support.apple.com/kb/ht1719

If you've got a 3rd of 4th generation (spot it by the photos) then follow the instructions labelled "Syncing music automatically to iPod shuffle (3rd and 4th generation)". Select to sync only the play list you've just made.

If you've got a 1st or 2nd generation then follow the bit labelled "Syncing music using Autofill to iPod shuffle (1st and 2nd generation)" and select your new playlist for the "Autofill from" bit.

That should do it, just the music from your playlist will get onto your Shuffle.

You can also do it manually, and again instructions for that are on the same page above, which means you can drag or drop whatever songs you want onto the Shuffle without needing a playlist.

cheesesarnie Mon 22-Aug-11 13:29:47

thankyou clever people.dont know if ive done it right but shuffle is now playing.i put some songs from dh music into 'untitled playlist'?is that right?

BadgersPaws Mon 22-Aug-11 13:41:33

Yup that's basically right.

1) Make the playlist
2) Pop some music into it
3) Plug in the Shuffle and set it up to take it's music from that playlist (described above).

Job done smile

I'd rename the playlist to make it clear that it's yours and tell DH not to put any of his rubbish in there smile

cheesesarnie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:39:56

smile thankyou.so when i put a new cd on,will it ask which one i want it on?

BadgersPaws Thu 25-Aug-11 12:54:29

No....

You'll import the CD and it will go into the iTunes Library. At this point if your DH has his iPod set up to sync the entire library he will get it on his iThing the next time he syncs it with the laptop.

You won't get it until you copy the CD from the Library to the playlist that you've set up and then sync your iPod.

So your usual pattern will be:
1) Import the CD
2) Copy the CD from the Library to your Playlist
3) Sync your iPod.

cheesesarnie Thu 25-Aug-11 13:10:58

god im rubbish!thankgod for mn!i'll give it ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now