Talk

Advanced search

Easy way to change email (hotmail) address?

(6 Posts)
Mumswang Thu 18-Aug-11 14:58:52

my main email address, which i have used for 10 years or more is a hotmail one. The address itself is frankly embarassing (a childhood nickname) i would dearly love a new one, but i don't want two accounts. is there a way i can get my hotmail to forward all emails from the old account to a new one? or some other easy way to start using a new address without having to remember the 65478 peole i need to tell it to

it's just i've had it so long, and given it to so many differnent people / companies / acocunts i'd never get around to updating them all

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Aug-11 00:10:48

can you not leave a message/vacation reply on old one like when i go on holiday saying this address is not in use anymore and please use xxxxx email address

niceguy2 Sun 21-Aug-11 12:06:38

Try Options -> More options -> Email forwarding then enter your new email address.

This way all the people with the old email can still email you and just reply with your new one. Over time update people on your new email and be happy.

Mumswang Sun 21-Aug-11 14:48:37

Excellent. Thanks both

Didn't realise you could fo the forwarding thing withhotmail.

NetworkGuy Mon 22-Aug-11 12:02:20

I would hesitate at an automatic message as some mail lists (spamming) would possibly get the message and adapt to send to new mail address. I'd also avoid forwarding if any portion of your incoming mail is currently spam.

While two mail accounts might be a teeny bit inconvenient (I have at least 7), the way I'd recommend is to monitor the old mail address and respond with a 'new mail address' message to those friends you wish to know the new address, and then alter any website details (eg online shopping sites, forums, whatever) to send to the new address.

It can be worth the effort to 'clean up' the list of sources that know your mail address. Of course, you could (after say 6 months) use forwarding to ensure that some random sender who is a distant friend and has been offline for some time will still be able to reach you, but that would also mean you'd be forwarding any no-longer-wanted (ie junk) mail too.

amicissima Mon 22-Aug-11 20:46:24

If you send an email informing of your new address to everyone you want to remain in your contact list, IME you get lots of lovely emails back from people you haven't been in contact with for ages.

A silver lining to an otherwise tedious cloud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now