Talk

Advanced search

Help! I think I have malware on my PC and I can't get rid of it.....

(10 Posts)
orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 11:23:15

Hello geeky mumsnetters.... please can you help? I have a pc laptop and I'm sure its infected with something that I can't find. Often when I use google on Firefox, I click onto the search result I want to go to, and it sends me somewhere completely different. I have downloaded some anti malware software, and it found a couple of trojans and other nasties, and has quarentined them, but it's STILL doing it and it is driving me mad!

Any suggestions? PLEASE? Would be very grateful.....

Ta! grin

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 16-Aug-11 11:24:55

Try malwarebytes, i used it on my laptop a while ago and it worked.

redlac6 Tue 16-Aug-11 11:25:32

Malwarebytes is the best one to try

orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 11:32:48

Malwarebytes is the one I have used. I did a quick scan again yesterday (where it picked up another nasty) and then a full scan (clear), but I'm being re-directed again on Firefox this morning. It feels as though I have something lurking deep inside my system that allows/invites more viruses in as soon as I manage to get rid of them.

This is all on top of the normal, fully updated ESET NOD32 antivirus that is fitted and functioning.

Aurgh!

nocake Tue 16-Aug-11 13:24:50

Try Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy if you're not having any luck with Malwarebytes. Make sure you do a full update before you run them to make sure you have the lastest settings.

orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 15:41:35

Many thanks, am downloading spybot now. Am so fed up with being diverted from really ordinary websites to utterly random ones by the Ghost in the Machine......! Will let you know how I get on......

orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 20:28:09

Aurgh, am so desperate now. Have downloaded spybot and run it, says everything is clear. Have yet AGAIN tried to click on an ordinary (amazon) weblink from google and it has diverted me to a website that ESET immediately flagged up as being unsafe. AM now running Malawarebytes full scan again.

Please any geeks, is there anything else I could/should do? It feels like a firefox problem, but am loathe to get rid of it as all my work and study related bookmarks are bound to go as well and that would be a gigantic pia......

I'm begging for geek expertise now grin.....

orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 20:42:30

Oooh, just found a forum called "geeks to go" full of threads about google re-directing..... I may have found my geek in shining armour......

I use Opera and I just exported all of my bookmarks from Firefox but you should be able to get rid of it. DH had it and we googled and fixed it.

Hope its worked for you

orangina Tue 16-Aug-11 21:49:57

Thanks, I'm going to tackle it tomorrow! Hope to post with success story....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now