Talk

Advanced search

Can't email from my Ipad

(12 Posts)
Dosey Tue 16-Aug-11 11:12:10

Hi there could anybody help me please. When I try to email from my ipad I get the following message .... Cannot sent Mail, the user name or password for SMPT: then I get some random address, is incorrect. I dont know where the address its given me has come from or how to change it.

Also is it possible to send a song from my itunes library as at attachment on an mail?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

BadgersPaws Tue 16-Aug-11 11:35:04

I presume that you're using the Mail application? Someone must have set up an account or else you should get a screen asking you to set one up.

To view the details for your email account(s) go to:
Settings / Mail, Contacts, Calendars
From there you can view the accounts you have set up or add a new one.

I'm not sure if it's technically easily possible to send a song from iTunes or not, however I'm not sure if you want to.

Songs can be quite large, and might be too big for some email systems.

There's then also the issue that unless the song is quite literally yours (i.e. you sung it yourself) it's probably not legal to distribute it around. It's certainly the case that sending on songs bought from iTunes or Amazon (for example) is illegal.

Dosey Tue 16-Aug-11 12:22:34

Hi badger, thank you for that. I never thought that it might be illegal to do the iTunes thing. I have found something similar on utube which I could use instead.

With regards with the email from my iPad, I have done as you have said above and put my correct email details in, however it is now telling me the outgoing server address is incorrect. I am not sure what details should be going in there. I have a wireless router and my internet provider is
Talk talk though I never use an email address from them.

I apologise for not being I the brightest button in the box!!

Thank you again

BadgersPaws Tue 16-Aug-11 12:57:44

Adding an account should give you a number of common options for the settings.

Who is your email address with? How do you usually access it?

BadgersPaws Tue 16-Aug-11 13:50:06

It's worth pointing out that that "add account" option and then the list of choices that it gives you (e.g. Yahoo or Gmail) won't actually create you an email account. It presumes that you've already got an email account that you use and just want to use the iPad to connect to.

Dosey Tue 16-Aug-11 14:15:32

Hi badger, thank you for that. I never thought that it might be illegal to do the iTunes thing. I have found something similar on utube which I could use instead.

With regards with the email from my iPad, I have done as you have said above and put my correct email details in, however it is now telling me the outgoing server address is incorrect. I am not sure what details should be going in there. I have a wireless router and my internet provider is
Talk talk though I never use an email address from them.

I apologise for not being I the brightest button in the box!!

Thank you again

Dosey Tue 16-Aug-11 14:17:28

Thank you. My email address is @btinternet.com. I will keep trying

OhHelpOhNo Tue 16-Aug-11 14:24:52

Watching with interest....I have similar email address and the same problem with my iPhone. However for me it us a slightly intermittent fault.....I can always receive new messages on two accounts (I have 2 email addresses with same domain) and mostly I get your error message when I try to send but every so often I can send, odd odd odd and most frustrating, even my geeky DH can't make it work, sigh

BadgersPaws Tue 16-Aug-11 14:49:01

OK with BT you should use the following details for your account:

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.o2.co.uk

Apparently (I can't test this) use SSL should be set to off and Authentication set to "password". You should know your username and password.

Dosey Wed 17-Aug-11 08:23:52

Thanks again Badger. I have tried above but it's still not working. What I have done though is downloaded the yahoo app and I can send emails that way.

BadgersPaws Wed 17-Aug-11 10:00:20

What error are you getting now?

How do you normally access your BT email?

Dosey Wed 17-Aug-11 16:27:42

Saying that the outing server name is incorrect. I normally just google btyahoo go from there but if I use the mail app on my iPad I get the error messages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now