Talk

Advanced search

oh god ! please tell me its possible...

(10 Posts)
mankymummymoo Sun 14-Aug-11 13:45:09

to get data files from a laptop that won't boot up.

anybody have any ideas? Im desperate !

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Aug-11 14:51:44

There are devices to read from laptop hard drives though you may want to just visit a local computer shop to see whether they can copy the drive contents onto another.

When you say ' won't boot up ' can you tell that the hard drive is working but just not booting Windows, or be more explicit in what error message(s) you get ?

Unfortunately if the laptop has been dropped then in some instances the drive might have been damaged to a level where not booting = useless hard drive. I hope that's not the case for you, but just want to get in early, so you know there is a chance of nothing being readable from that drive.

NotADudeExactly Sun 14-Aug-11 14:57:01

As long as your hard drive is still intact the data on it can be read by other machines. You can remove it from the laptop and connect it to a different device yourself in theory - in practice I would recommend giving it to a tech unless you know what you're doing.

NotADudeExactly Sun 14-Aug-11 14:57:13

Oops, x-post!

mankymummymoo Sun 14-Aug-11 15:03:45

oh god, i did drop it. what happens is that when i turn it on, it flashes the compaq screen up briefly, then the cursor on the top left flashes once or twice and then it shuts off.

does that sound like the hard drive is broken do you think?

x

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Aug-11 15:34:06

Sounds like something else - the turning off is perhaps 'self protection'.

Fingers crossed for you.

Would still suggest going to a small computer shop (and wait!) to get them to give an "instant verdict" - they should be able to show you files and folders within a short time if the drive is working... At that stage you can get more advice on MN about reading the data off...

If they cannot look at it as they're "too busy" then out through the door (unless you have only one small computer firm near you).

Leaving it with them for hours is just going to mount up costs (and you have no idea whether they spent 1 hour or 10 even if they charge for 10).

HenriettaFarthingay Sun 14-Aug-11 15:54:06

I'm no computer whizz but hubbie had a problem with a laptop that sounds exactly the same. Took it to the nearest computer shop to his work, and they changed out the RAM and it's been working away quite happily now for about a year and a half.

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Aug-11 16:19:44

Perhaps the drop loosened the RAM. Might not even need to be swapped but pushed back into place (some modern laptops have hatches on the back allowing you access to the wi-fi, CPU, Hard Drive, and RAM).

mankymummymoo Sun 14-Aug-11 16:28:31

oh you are fantastic, thanks so much. there is a local shop, and will take your advice and wait whilst they look at it.

thought the laptop was a gonner for sure, and was hoping to get the files off at best. fingers crossed.

niceguy2 Mon 15-Aug-11 10:06:52

Was the computer powered on when you dropped it? If it was turned off then hard disks are pretty solid and can survive a fair drop. If it was on then it's a lot more delicate.

Also, this might be a good time to purchase an external hard disk and ensure your important data is always backed up. Well I say a good time....a good time is prior to the drop but you get what i mean wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now