Talk

Advanced search

Ipod speakers - any recommendations?

(7 Posts)
OllieinOrange Mon 08-Aug-11 07:01:16

We need some Ipod speakers but I've no idea which ones to get and obviously don't want to make an expensive mistake! Does anyone have any recommendations they are happy with? TIA

niceguy2 Mon 08-Aug-11 09:24:59

What's your budget and what sort of speakers are you after? Something you can plug in and listen to in the home whilst it charges? Or something portable you can take with you?

Personally I liked the JBL Onstage IIIP which you can still get in stores for around £80. I listened to a load in PCWorld a while back and this one stood out as the best price/performance & size.

For something I can sling in my bag for holidays/travels, i have this one Travel speaker Cheap as chips and sounds pretty good for a fiver.

BadgersPaws Mon 08-Aug-11 09:46:45

I get great sound out of a Bose docking station. As niceguy suggests go and have a listen somewhere.

Something very important to consider if you're going to play your iPod through some decent speakers is to increase the quality of the music that you copy off of CDs. By default the settings in iTune are of a pretty low quality, you won't really notice that through headphones (well some claim they can, I can't, maybe I'm deaf) but if you plug the iPod into a decent set of speakers you'll notice a problem. Music will sound a bit "flat" and "lifeless" compared to a CD.

If you only ever buy music from iTunes or somewhere then what you will get will be of a high quality anyway, it's only a problem if you do copy from a CD yourself.

I just wouldn't want to think that you spend some money on some decent speakers and then ending up feeling disappointed that they don't sound as good as you'd expect.

If you want any advice on what can be done to make things sound better then let someone on here know.

nocake Mon 08-Aug-11 13:20:38

We use a Revo Domino which sounds pretty good. I think the D1, which has DAB is around £80 - £90. Ours also has internet radio so it cost a little bit more.

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 08-Aug-11 13:22:10

Bose docking station here too. It's fantastic.

OllieinOrange Tue 09-Aug-11 07:34:08

Thank you for the really useful replies. The speakers would be in our bedroom and in the spareroom which we use as a study as we already have a good sound system downstairs (does that sound poncey??!!!smile)
Flexible re budget but think Bose would be a bit too pricey given where we want them and how much use they will get. I like the neat look of the JBL one - it really helps having some recommendations to look into tho!

TheBeast Tue 16-Aug-11 22:52:21

I have clipped a Wowee to my bedboard but it sounds great on a coffee table or desk, too. I find one is fine but you can buy two for a more stereo effect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now