Talk

Advanced search

URGENT- Iphone 3GS not charging

(13 Posts)
HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 18:40:28

Battery been dying for a bit but usually fine as long as I keep topping it up. Tonight its been plugged in for 2 hours after switching off and still on red battery and won't let me in. I've just moved it from the dock to the plug to see if that helps but it usually responds within 5-10 mins.

Im out of warranty and nowhere near an apple store or I would have had it replaced before the warranty ran out.

Any suggestions?

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 18:41:46

Oh & Ive not been able to sync for ages ,it copies the pictures but nothing through itunes. so I be losing a lot of not very important of stuff if its dead

PogueMahone Sun 07-Aug-11 18:45:02

Happened to me with a 3G. Turned out it was the cable. Can you borrow one to see if that's where the fault lies? When I got a new cable, it even started syncing again.

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 18:48:31

Tried dh cable & the spare re syncing. on a differnt cable now but still the same. Its charging but not getting anywhere.

I'm not used to typing on a computerblush

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 18:49:06

thinking I'm going to have to upgrade now though sad

SleepyFergus Sun 07-Aug-11 18:51:03

Yep, defo try a different cable. iTunes wasn't synching with my iPhone and carphone warehouse were next to useless as I was out warranty and had taken out their expensive insurance (they just shrugged their shoulders....Grrrrr)

Then my dad suggested trying a different cable (which I poo poohed initially as I was so pissed off) but he was right and it worked again. God bless dads!

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 07-Aug-11 18:52:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 18:58:14

I've done 3 cables and the docking station now. its now switched on but 36% battery which isnt much above where it switches off.

So <phew> its back on but still need to sort the battery & the lack of syncing.

If I do a day tri to an apple store what would they do and how much?

noteventhebestdrummer Sun 07-Aug-11 18:58:33

think where the cable plugs into the phone can get bits of grot in that stops the connection so it's worth trying to clean that out - I got this as an answer when I googled to find out why my home button kept stopping working- I didn't believe it but it worked!

SleepyFergus Sun 07-Aug-11 19:18:10

I'm not sure you can just rock up to the apple store and ask them to fix it, I vaguely remember reading or hearing something about making appointments (but I could be very wrong)

One thing the carphone warehouse said to me is that I might have been able to extend the warranty online (at a cost presumably) but I never got round to exploring that option. If it's still in wArranty I thinks its possible that the apple store would evaluate the problem and may swap for a new one.

CPW also said try could send mine sway but it would cost about £100 if they were able to fix it or not.

Alternatively, check out phone insurance via other means. I have a royal bank if Scotland account with a certain level tat includes extra benefits. One of those is phone insurance for free. Can't claim for 14 days from opening the a/c but 2 weeks with no phone isn't the end of the world!

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 19:23:14

That's the extended warranty. I've had it over 2 years. Pretty heavy use for the last one too due to being ill/mat leave/insomnia/breast-feeding etc

You have to make an appt but as I say it will be a day trip anyway but wondering if it's worth it.i couldn't get before because of having to be back for school pick ups.

I have insurance if it gets broken but not for technical problems as I thought I would have upgraded by now! I'm hanging on until pay day but wondering if I went to apple it would be cheaper than buying from O2.

SleepyFergus Sun 07-Aug-11 19:50:52

How long is your contract for? 2 years might be indeed time for an upgrade!

Good luck, hope you get sorted!

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 20:20:55

It was up in June. I was hanging on hoping apple would release the new iPhone and I would be back at work and have money

It's going now but it took far too long to reactivate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now