Talk

Advanced search

iPad owners - come and share your tips/tricks/fav apps

(9 Posts)
FatStanley Sat 06-Aug-11 08:34:07

I've only has my iPad2 a few weeks but here are a couple of things I have found our recently:

To scroll instantly from the bottom of a long page (perfect for mumsnet) touch the black bar at the top of the screen that has the time/wifi signal/battery life on it

Hold the !, key down on the keyboard for a second to get an apostrophe.

To lock your screen (for when you are mumsnetting in bed - as if I would). Press the home key quickly twice then slide the bar over so you can see the far left end and there is a lock button there (thanks lovely friend who told me that!)

Apps: someone on here mentioned dropbox which is great for moving stuff around between laptop/iPad/iPhone

Also THIS is a straight forward guide to loading DVDs onto your iPad.

Anybody else like to share their finds? Can you tell it's still the best toy EVER!!!!

RustyBear Sun 07-Aug-11 08:21:17

If you use the lock function a lot, it'll be easier to use the hardware switch. Go to Settings-General- Use the side switch to and change it from Mute to Lock Rotation. You only need to do this once & then the button on the side next to the volume rocker switch will lock the screen orientation.

RustyBear Sun 07-Aug-11 08:30:46

Also, you'll find lots of keys have alternatives if you hold them down -
a æ ã å ā à à â ä ñ ß ç î ł etc on the letters
$₩¥€§¿—-• etc on the first punctuation screen
… ‰¿¡‘«»„” on the second

FatStanley Sun 07-Aug-11 08:48:51

LOL rusty! I knew you would have some - years ago you came to my rescue with an iPhone problem, gawd bless your appley self grin

RustyBear Sun 07-Aug-11 08:51:18

If you want to take a screen shot, press the round Home button and the top Sleep button at the same time. The picture will automatically appear in your Photos app - on my iPad 1 it's in Saved Photos, but iPad 2 probably has a camera roll folder like the iPhone so I'd guess it'll go in there.

If you have a Picasa web album you can then use the Web Album app to quickly upload the picture and copy the URL so you can share it on Mumsnet

FatStanley Sun 07-Aug-11 08:56:29

Ooh, get you rusty!

EmmaTheFox Sun 07-Aug-11 23:07:57

Marking my place for when mine gets delivered, well, for when I've made up my mind, ordered it and then got it delivered! grin

housemum Mon 08-Aug-11 18:22:16

Likewise!

OvO Mon 08-Aug-11 18:25:47

Ooo screenshot. Excellent. Thanks, Rusty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now