Talk

Advanced search

dd needs laptop for uni-anyone know of any good deals around atm?

(16 Posts)
ggirl Wed 27-Jul-11 15:05:34

eg. money of when opening bank acct ??

NetworkGuy Fri 29-Jul-11 18:13:49

Would recommend you look at Ebay's 'Deal of the day' (they seem to also then show you groups like electrical goods that are deals of the week) as some items are at bargain prices. Amazon worth a check, and Google 'shopping' so you can see if the items on Ebay are priced similarly on other web sites.

Oh, and if you spot something, might be worth mentioning make and model on here to see if someone has spotted a different model giving better value for money. Good luck with your search...

NetworkGuy Fri 29-Jul-11 18:14:25

Does her Uni have any offers for discount hardware / software ? Worth asking them too !

ggirl Fri 29-Jul-11 19:30:35

thanks that's helpful

have spotted this dell one
what do you think?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 29-Jul-11 19:34:10

There is a Samsung deal on at PC world amongst others. Plus you get a £50 voucher.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 29-Jul-11 19:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NetworkGuy Sat 30-Jul-11 00:01:14

Anyone know what options there are for getting MS Office with educational discount, between finishing 'A' levels and start at Uni ?

NetworkGuy Sat 30-Jul-11 00:02:31

SGM are you thinking Apple in N America or in UK, as there are often money back discounts in N America we don't get over here...

ggirl Sat 30-Jul-11 00:08:32

have just found this info page on dd's uni page

ggirl Sat 30-Jul-11 00:18:52

this link for discount I think
am really thick about these things but is £50 for digital download of office a good deal?

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 30-Jul-11 10:08:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RustyBear Sat 30-Jul-11 10:57:19

DD has had that dell 15r for about 6 months at uni (it was a 21st birthday present, replacing the HP she had when she first went to uni)
She says it's fine, reliable and coped well with Eastenders her lectures online.

Scootergrrrl Sat 30-Jul-11 11:08:22

I'm looking at a HP on Amazon which is reduced from £500 to £320 which looks like a fairly good deal.

amicissima Sat 30-Jul-11 22:14:51

IM(bitter)E you should get the cheapest you can find.

My reason: term 1: spilt drink over it and turned it on to see if it was still working (it wasn't).
term 5: student house broken into. Laptop stolen.
term 8: dropped. Dead. Finals approaching.
term 9: student house broken into. Laptop stolen.

As we needed to buy each replacement in a hurry with essay deadlines approaching, I found the best deal was always Tesco.

BTW, the good news was that she had bought an external hard drive which she used for regular back ups and kept hidden, so her iTunes work was not lost.

NetworkGuy Sun 31-Jul-11 15:56:12

LOL about her iTunes work not being lost. It is a good idea to have a backup drive (or use online service like DriveHQ for work documents - it has a limit of about 400 MB for retrieval [even though FREE storage is 1 or 2 GB] so not good idea to fill with music, but real essays etc...

Some free software for Windows makes the DriveHQ storage appear like an extra drive, and other free s/w they provide allows for 'hot backup' so any time you add or amend a document, copy is sent off the DriveHQ storage too (so as long as you save work at intervals, last copy is saved too, within reason).

MindtheGappp Sun 31-Jul-11 16:04:46

You should get the right laptop rather than being swayed by deals.

My DS1 got an ACer Timeline last year. It is slim and lightweight (no DVD drive so took my external one), and has a 6 hour battery life (and it is still 6 hours a year later). This was the only value laptop we could find that had both good portability and battery life. He is still really happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now