Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone sucessfully replaced a broken screen on an Iphone 3gs?

(9 Posts)
Saggyoldclothcatpuss Mon 25-Jul-11 23:47:11

Im considering giving it a try. Am I bonkers?

Al0uiseG Tue 26-Jul-11 07:15:48

I wouldn't do it myself but i had it repaired at the phone shop at Freeport for £50.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Tue 26-Jul-11 09:15:18

Phone doctor will do it, but want £50 and 3 days. I do have a tech geek friend who is going to hold my hand when I do it!

Al0uiseG Tue 26-Jul-11 09:24:34

Good luck, if it works ill be tapping you up regularly, the amount of phones ds1 breaks!

niceguy2 Tue 26-Jul-11 09:36:48

It'll probably cost you a tenner for the glass digitiser if you want the faff of seperating the LCD from the glass. Another £11 or so to buy a replacement LCD.

So it all depends on what the hassle/risk is worth to you.

Personally I'd pay someone £50 to fix it and let them take the risk of messing it up. But then it's an interesting project if you are that sort of mind.

Lastly, depending on how old it is, you may want to take it back to Apple and see what they will do. They replaced my son's iPod touch free when he dropped it and smashed the glass. Even if they don't offer you a free replacement, they will usually give you the option of a cheap refurb. If it's still too much then you can DIY.

roomforthree Tue 26-Jul-11 09:39:33

I've replaced the screen on my 3G. I bought the replacement (including the tools) from eBay and followed an instruction video on youtube.

No problems, easy to do, but I dropped it 2 weeks later and smashed both the screen and lcd blush

I've replaced both, and my phone is working perfectly now smile

roomforthree Tue 26-Jul-11 09:48:12

Niceguy - in the 3G there are three components to the screen - LCD, digitizer and glass. The LCD is not bonded to the digitizer. The glass screen IS bonded to the digitizer. Is the 3GS different?

When I first broke my screen, the lcd was fine so I purchased a prebonded digitizer/glass combo. Very easy to replace.

niceguy2 Tue 26-Jul-11 09:55:45

Ah ok, perhaps you are right. I just remember my son's ipod being bonded when I looked into it. Hopefully the 3GS is different as its a real PITA otherwise.

So i guess it's how much you can get the parts for versus the risk. If it's a tenner, I'd take a punt. At £20-£25 and the cost of someone else doing it is £50, I'd be tempted to outsource it.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Tue 26-Jul-11 21:06:35

£4.95 from amazon for the glass/digitiser and the tool kit. The video on YouTube looks fairly straight forward. I'm up for an upgrade in October, it's out of gaurantee so it's £146 for a replacement from apple or "a bit less" to have the screen replaced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now