Talk

Advanced search

Can access to a facebook page be blocked by country or ISP range or similar?

(5 Posts)
hugglymugly Fri 22-Jul-11 16:50:20

I'm a facebook newbie, and I haven't been able to find the answer from looking at the help pages.

There's a facebook page set up by someone in the UK. I'm also in the UK. I can access that but only if I'm logged in to facebook. (If I just use the URL it redirects to the facebook login screen.)

Someone I know who is in the USA cannot access the page - not even when she's logged in or by using specific terms in the search box.

Is it possible that the facebook page has been set up to restrict access to only those in the UK? I know that some of the large commercial websites can do that, hence not being able to watch US TV shows online, etc.

piprabbit Fri 22-Jul-11 16:57:54

Yes - you can set up a page so that it can only be accessed by people from certain countries. You can also set up age restrictions.

hugglymugly Fri 22-Jul-11 17:18:04

Thanks, piprabbit. I was hoping that was the case because the alternative would have been that the US person had been specifically blocked, which would have been upsetting.

I can contact her now and tell her that it isn't personal.

Thanks again.

NetworkGuy Sat 23-Jul-11 12:32:21

While it might not be what the FB page "owner" wants, depending on the web browser you use, it may be possible to create an image file to e-mail to the person in the USA. "Screen Grab" add-ons (aka extensions) exist for Firefox ( www.getfirefox.com ) and Google Chrome ( www.google.com/chrome ) browsers.

I find it handy to make a copy of web forms I fill in. Just felt it may be useful to know about. Obviously, in some instances, making a copy can only be done for personal use, but since you have legitimate access to the FB page, what you do with any information you see (such as discuss with someone outside the UK) can equally be done with any information you download (in this case, an image showing the whole web page), unless there's some specific wording that might legally constrain you.

Many web sites show a copyright symbol but they presumably never sue a magazine for printing a screen image of some of their pages (copying the whole web site and making individual pages available for retrieval being exceptions).

hugglymugly Sun 24-Jul-11 20:59:43

Thank you, NetworkGuy, that's perfect. (Although having downloaded the add-on, it took me a while to find out where Firefox had put it. But I'm from the BBC-B generation, so don't always remember that right-click is my friend wink).

In this particular case, the restriction makes sense as the facebook page is for local people, and it wouldn't make sense for it to be available to people outside the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now