Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how to block MSN?

(18 Posts)
exasperatedemma Tue 19-Jul-11 18:22:39

Help! I've managed to block Facebook so that my DD has to get me to log in each time she wants to go on it (she got rather obsessive recently over it!) but just as I have plugged that leak, she has switched back to MSN and constantly has it running in the background when she's supposed to be doing homework and I am worn out from being the MSN Police!
Anyone know how to block it?

niceguy2 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:52:34

Use K9 Web Protection and deselect the type of sites you don't want her to access. Stick a password on it.

Alternatively you could just uninstall MSN!

niceguy2 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:54:37

Ooops, apologies. K9 won't stop MSN messenger as a program. Support link

I'll have a hunt around. There are more solid solutions but i'm mindful you need something easy to set up.

AmberLeaf Tue 19-Jul-11 18:57:22

Some internet safety packages allow you to set MSN to only be used between certain hours of your choosing.

would be under parental controls.

exasperatedemma Wed 20-Jul-11 12:54:13

Thank you for your suggestions so far - we have Microsoft family security and I've blocked about 8 different ways of accessing it (it has already been uninstalled) but there seem to be so many ways to get it -eg, if you just go on to Micrsoft, or hotmail etc - you can get straight to it from there. Microsoft are very clever methinks!

niceguy2 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:05:16

Yes, it's not easy at all. Hence why we were saying a while back that the only true solution is parental supervision. Software only gets you so far and kids nowadays often know more than parents.

Not only can you get to MSN via Hotmail or the webclient, there are many many other sites too which will let you log into MSN such as ILoveIM. You end up playing cat & mouse otherwise.

AmberLeaf Wed 20-Jul-11 13:27:12

Thankfully my DCs dont get to go on msn because they dont get a chance as im always on it

Its hard to keep ahead of all of this stuff though, I agree the only way is to supervise.

exasperatedemma Wed 20-Jul-11 13:37:57

I know, I'm just so worn out from the minute by minute supervising of DD and DS, I guess I was looking for an easy solution as I'm now sick of the sound of my own voice and also being in the constant postion of catching them out as they can't be trusted to just do homework without MSN running in the background! Even when they've been caught and a sanction (like loss of mobile phone for a time) has been applied, they are so addicted that they just can't stop themselves! I limit the generous time they can have on all electrical gadgets but I'm close getting to the 'zero tolerance' point where I shall just unplug the log and remove them - it's a constant source of argument!!

NerfHerder Wed 20-Jul-11 13:42:37

Can you bloc the ports that MSN accesses to use the internet?

There are other clients (such as miranda) that get around not having MSN...

exasperatedemma Wed 20-Jul-11 13:44:00

ok, that sounds good but I have no idea how to do either of those things!

niceguy2 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:33:06

No, blocking ports won't work as they've programmed it to use popular web ports as well. Plus it won't work against web based messengers such as IloveIM and hotmail.

OP, have you tried giving them some MSN time once they've finished their homework? Perhaps that might sweeten the deal somewhat?

niceguy2 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:33:47

Which version of Windows are you using? I've just had a play around with XP & Microsoft Family Security and am a little bit underwhelmed if I am honest. I much prefer K9. It would seem that the Windows 7 version has the ability to block not only websites but programs too. So you could in theory define times & programs your children are allowed to use. So for example, only Word, Excel and Internet Explorer allowed and of course web filtering set so you can't go to social/chat sites.

The other thing you can do if not already done is set up a user account for the kids and password protect the main account. The kids account would not have administrator rights so they can't install their own apps and they can only surf sites you've defined using the filters.

Hope that helps

exasperatedemma Thu 21-Jul-11 08:23:29

thanks Niceguy2. They pretty much always get allowed to go on MSN AFTER homework but choose to ignore that and can't wait! I think I have reached the end of my tether this morning after my DD sat for 4 hours supposedly doing homework yesterday (I was out and husband was monitoring!) only to find she had done about 10% of it and was trying to finish it at 7.30 this morning with a lot of screaming and shouting etc!

The pc has Windows 7 and family security, they also have their own accounts with no administrator rights, only I have that and they don't know the password. It's tricky to let them only use pre-defined websites as they often need to trawl the flippin' net for research and homework - their school is obsessed with them doing nearly all their homework using a Pc and the net - "books? why do I need books when there's everything I need on the internet" they say!!

I have tried to block MSN and several other sites on windows family security but it still allows them to log on, don't understand this. Any thoughts?

niceguy2 Thu 21-Jul-11 12:55:27

I've actually spent a bit of time playing with this this morning. The problem seems to be the fact that Microsoft Family Security doesn't let you break down the categories. So you are stuck with "child friendly" which is a bit TOO restrictive and "General Interest" which is too wide. A quick Google and I had bypassed the filter in about 15 seconds (most of which was spent typing my password in!)

What I'd recommend then is the following:

1) From Family Safety website, configure the kids account so that program restrictions are on. Block apps you don't want them playing with. Especially Windows Live Messenger!

2) Turn OFF web Filtering

3) Download K9 Web Protection. Install this program and set up the admin password.

4) From the K9 Admin Console (see start menu), configure a custom category. In particular, tick to block "Chat/Instant Messaging" sites, "Email" , "Software Downloads" and just to be sure "Online Storage" this will stop them from getting a friend to pop a program on Dropbox or something.

That should pretty much cover it. If they get past that, then may I suggest your kids consider a career in IT? wink

exasperatedemma Thu 21-Jul-11 14:41:46

Bless you niceguy2, thanks for taking the time to try and sort it for me - I'm going to try all that now and will let you know how it goes :

exasperatedemma Thu 21-Jul-11 16:33:53

Genius! thank you niceguy2 - have successfully blocked it on the two laptops - I had to add in certain words to block too in the url keywords bit - like: "msn" "Live" "messenger" hotmail" and the lovely dog barks everytime that one of those words is entered in google too!

Hopefully this has plugged all the leaks now.....

niceguy2 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:39:03

Ha ha, brilliant. I did think about mentioning the dog bark but thought your kids will soon figure out how to turn the sound off!

Have fun!

exasperatedemma Fri 22-Jul-11 10:27:06

I know, they will turn the sound off but it was a novelty for me for about 5 minutes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now