Talk

Advanced search

How do I hook my laptop up to the TV to watch iPlayer, etc.

(11 Posts)
kwaker5 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:30:42

Can I do this? I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and a Sony HDTV (a year old), not sure which model.

Thanks

NetworkGuy Mon 18-Jul-11 21:57:47

From thelaptopcentre.co.uk "here's also a VGA port if you want to hook up an external monitor and an s-video connector if you ever fancy watching movies on a suitably equipped telly."

So it will depend on whether your TV has a "PC input" (VGA) or S-Video inputs.

Some laptops have an HDMI output to go into a TV, but not that particular Dell, sorry.

netbook Tue 19-Jul-11 10:32:15

Yep, you need a VGA cable. The last one I bought was £25 from pc world, you could probably get one from ebay for cheaper though.

amicissima Thu 21-Jul-11 20:58:05

Am I right in thinking that VGA does not carry audio? If so, how would you connect the audio? There seem to be a lot of 'holes' (to put cables in!) on both my computer and my TV.

NetworkGuy Fri 22-Jul-11 09:31:54

Just looked for > Wiki S-Video < description and that doesn't carry audio either, unfortunately. Most computers will have a 3.5mm audio output to speakers, which can be fed into various other devices.

It is possible (but perhaps unlikely) that the Sony TV will have a suitable input (as HDMI or SCART will be the most common from DVD or similar ''player'/ 'tuner' boxes, whether satellite or Freeview).

Have you any speaker system connected up for your Sony TV ? Some people go for an AV Amp taking the source video and audio from Blu-Ray or satellite and then feeding video to the TV and audio to a multi-speaker (5.1 or 7.1) setup, so if you have already got something in place the audio might be fed into that, while the video goes straight from the Dell to the TV.

If you don't yet have separate speakers, then come back with a new query as some others may have particular speakers they can recommend. There may be a modest cost 2.1 speaker system you can add to get the audio from the laptop.

kwaker5 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:34:59

Thanks for the replies. I got one of these but haven't tried it yet! Not convinced the picture will be that great on a big TV.

nannynick Tue 26-Jul-11 17:40:11

The VGA output will be the same as it is on your laptop screen, so you need to run iPlayer in fullscreen mode.

Your TV may have options under Screen Zoom to adjust the picture size so it takes up as much of the screen as possible.

nannynick Tue 26-Jul-11 17:55:50

I would always aim to go for the best quality signal that is provided, which in the case of the laptop you have might be S-Video (it's a small round multi-pin socket).

You could then use a 3.5mm Jack to Phono with a Scart to S-VHS and Phono cable.

nannynick Tue 26-Jul-11 20:26:37

Mind you if the screen has a 15pin computer input, then that may well give the best quality.

Bit of experimentation may be needed. Have you got it to work with the cables you have got?

kwaker5 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:22:14

OK, I plugged in and held my breath. My TV said 'signal not compatible' or something similar. It was picking definitely it up but wouldn't display it.

I fiddled with the display settings on my laptop for a while to see if I could make it use the TV rather than the monitor as a display, but nothing I tried worked.

Gave up and we crowded round the laptop instead!

HedleyLamarr Tue 02-Aug-11 20:14:23

Try connecting the television before booting the laptop up. That worked for me when my monitor died. I just unplugged the monitor and plugged the tv in, got a similar message to yours, so just rebooted and now I have a lovely 32 inch monitor. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now