Talk

Advanced search

reconfiguring computer after using ethernet connection

(13 Posts)
giddly Mon 18-Jul-11 10:43:03

Hi all. Anyone willing and able to help a luddite? I have two computers that are linked via an ethernet cable. Computer one is linked directly to the internet (not wi fi). Computer two is linked to computer one via the ethernet cable. I've had to dismantle computer one, and now need to connect computer 2 directly to a phone line for direct broadband access. However, it's not configured for the ethernet cable (someone else did this for me). How do I change it so I can use it directly with the modem / phone connection again? Sorry if I haven't explained this very well, and thanks in advance.

giddly Mon 18-Jul-11 12:15:10

Any ideas?

vernier Mon 18-Jul-11 14:19:54

Sorry, I can't even picture your setup.

How do you linked a computer to a router(?) and another computer at the same time? With 2 network cards?

If computer 2 was linked directly to computer 1, with no router/switch box in between and had internet access via that setup then it was probably connected with a crossover cable and computer 1 was probably acting as a router.

Assuming that computer 2 had a fairly standard set up using DHCP, then you would just need to use the regular ethernet cable that was previously used to connect computer 1 to the internet and use it connect computer 2 instead.

Try it. If you don't know which cable was which, try both separately.

lifeinthemidlands Mon 18-Jul-11 15:28:40

Thanks - I think you've descried it cruelandunusual - it rings vague bells from when a fried set it up. I've tried to use the regular ethernet cable, but it says sthere's a connection problem - despite the fact both lights are green on the modem.

NetworkGuy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:36:21

Unless computer 1 had 2 ethernet connections, one linking to computer 2 and the other linking to a router/modem, then I cannot be sure how you'd use the internet from computer 2. How was computer 1 connecting, please?

(For anyone wondering, "Internet Connection Sharing" allows a Windows PC to act as a gateway, allowing connections from a local area connection to make outgoing requests via the PC's internet connection. Similar things are possible under linux [of course].)

NetworkGuy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:38:54

vernier - it's possible with some (older) routers to use USB (or not even use a router but a USB ADSL modem for the internet side). Of course another possibility is to use a wireless connection to link to a router, and then the ethernet connection to share access with one or more other PCs.

Giddly Mon 18-Jul-11 21:53:34

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I think the set up is as Cruelandunusual described - with a switch cabble. just pluggin the computer directly into the modem again doesn't work - it says there is an ethernet port error.

InTheNightKitchen Tue 19-Jul-11 09:12:05

Please explain what kind of wire came out of Computer 1 (not the ethernet to Computer 2, the other one) and what it plugs into.

Giddly Tue 19-Jul-11 10:13:39

It connects to an external modem, which then plugs in to a phone wall socket (with broadband filter)

niceguy2 Tue 19-Jul-11 11:22:42

May i suggest you buy an ADSL modem/router from ebay? I bought a refurbished one the other week as a spare for £10 inc delivery.

It's just way less hassle than trying to reconfigure two machines and using some sort of Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Plus it means when computer 1 is back, you no longer need it on to be able to surf from computer 2.

Sometimes it's easier just to spend the money.

InTheNightKitchen Tue 19-Jul-11 14:15:14

Giddly wht kind of wire? If it's USB, try connecting to Computer 2. It might install automatically, but more likely you can install it with the disc you got with the modem from Internet company.

Giddly Wed 20-Jul-11 09:56:15

Thanks for suggestions. It should install automatically as computer 2 used to run directly off the modem -will try reinstalling with disc again in case that is it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now