Talk

Advanced search

Where is the pound sign on a forrin keyboard?

(20 Posts)
PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 09:56:44

Had to replace my laptop keyboard as pesky ds2 had pulled loads of keys off. Got a bargainous one off Ebay from Hong Kong but some of the keys are different. Have sussed them out but can't find a pound sign. There is a $ above the 4.

TanteRosmerta Sat 16-Jul-11 10:03:27

You mean as in pounds sterling?
There might not be one sad

I don't have one - have to write GBP/sterling...

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 10:42:10

Hmm. I suppose writing GBP looks better thanthe '350 pounds' that I just typed.

Is there not a magic way, like when you get accents on letters for use in other languages?

niceguy2 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:44:08

Ok so you've probably bought a US keyboard. Is your Shift 3 key a hash symbol?

The simplest solution is probably to still configure your laptop to be a UK keyboard. Then Shift 3 will continue to be £.

Otherwise ¡f you have a numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard (usually on big 17" laptops) then you can press ALT+156 on the keypad but its a right pain.

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 13:31:11

Right ok scrap that. Although there is a picture of hash, the shift and 3 is £. So where the hell is hash then?

Sorry for the confusion.

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 13:33:16

# is Alt plus 3 I think.

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:30

Alt+3 gives me a heart (well it does on here)

♥

(that's useful to know!)

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:47

oh bugger - it was a heart in preview sad

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 14:33:13

Alt and 3 doesn't do anything confused

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:35:34

what is on your keyboard 3 keys over from L, Pippi?

on mine that's where the # is, underneath ~ (& to the right of the @)

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 14:38:41

Damn. I have a US keyboard for my iPad and the # is alt 3 on there.

Ciske Sat 16-Jul-11 14:39:46

Obviously there isn't a pound sign on a foreign keyboard. Try Alt +0163.

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:45:45

# is Alt+35 grin

Here is a v v useful list of Alt codes (save it or print it!)

exexpat Sat 16-Jul-11 14:56:12

I used to have that problem with my Japanese keyboards. Basically it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get a pound sign for emails, forum posts etc, but in documents, you can use the 'insert symbol' thing in Word (presumably similar in other programs) which calls up a list of all sorts of non-alphabetic symbols, and you just pick the pound sign. Bit complicated though. How often do you actually need to use it?

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:56:16

it's wrong for £ though - as Ciske said it's Alt+0163, not 0156

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 16:21:31

Next to L, I have ; then ' then enter. With shift they are : then @ but the symbol is double speech marks. The number 2 has the @ key over it but is actually ".

<<passes medal to anyone who folowed that>>

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 16:37:11

I used to have that keyboard at work grin

Mine has the same keys as yours to the right of the L, but then one more key - the enter key is cut away a bit to accommodate it.

Make a list on a post-it note of the Alt codes for those that are missing or not where they say they are (I have one with the codes for things like euro, upside-down question mark, copyright, trademark - not that I use them often, but when I do I want them now!)

NetworkGuy Sun 17-Jul-11 05:01:07

PLB- sometimes when my PC runs a bit low on memory (because I have 200 tabs open in Firefox and a pile of other programs running) the " and @ swap and I know I have to shut down some items as FF has stopped using the UK keyboard layout. Incidentally - it is only Firefox that swaps the keys over!

I think your machine has been set to UK keyboard (hence pressing shift-2 gives quote marks) but the symbols on it are the US layout.

One option would be to get a cheap UK USB keyboard and plug that in.

Another option (from times when I am using LogMeIn to remore control a client's PC and the keyboard is stuck) is to use the on-screen keyboard (comes under Accessories, Accessibility tools) which should show the correct keys for you.

NetworkGuy Sun 17-Jul-11 05:03:28

Now, anyone got a clue on how to get a hash (#) on an old iMac or eMac (I have G3 and G4 kit, but sometimes need the hash key and just go back to a Windows PC whenever I need to do any programming)

vernier Mon 18-Jul-11 14:25:09

#
It's Alt+35. Just tried it out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: