Advanced search

Where is the pound sign on a forrin keyboard?

(20 Posts)
PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 09:56:44

Had to replace my laptop keyboard as pesky ds2 had pulled loads of keys off. Got a bargainous one off Ebay from Hong Kong but some of the keys are different. Have sussed them out but can't find a pound sign. There is a $ above the 4.

TanteRosmerta Sat 16-Jul-11 10:03:27

You mean as in pounds sterling?
There might not be one sad

I don't have one - have to write GBP/sterling...

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 10:42:10

Hmm. I suppose writing GBP looks better thanthe '350 pounds' that I just typed.

Is there not a magic way, like when you get accents on letters for use in other languages?

niceguy2 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:44:08

Ok so you've probably bought a US keyboard. Is your Shift 3 key a hash symbol?

The simplest solution is probably to still configure your laptop to be a UK keyboard. Then Shift 3 will continue to be £.

Otherwise ¡f you have a numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard (usually on big 17" laptops) then you can press ALT+156 on the keypad but its a right pain.

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 13:31:11

Right ok scrap that. Although there is a picture of hash, the shift and 3 is £. So where the hell is hash then?

Sorry for the confusion.

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 13:33:16

# is Alt plus 3 I think.

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:30

Alt+3 gives me a heart (well it does on here)


(that's useful to know!)

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:47

oh bugger - it was a heart in preview sad

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 14:33:13

Alt and 3 doesn't do anything confused

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:35:34

what is on your keyboard 3 keys over from L, Pippi?

on mine that's where the # is, underneath ~ (& to the right of the @)

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 14:38:41

Damn. I have a US keyboard for my iPad and the # is alt 3 on there.

Ciske Sat 16-Jul-11 14:39:46

Obviously there isn't a pound sign on a foreign keyboard. Try Alt +0163.

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:45:45

# is Alt+35 grin

Here is a v v useful list of Alt codes (save it or print it!)

exexpat Sat 16-Jul-11 14:56:12

I used to have that problem with my Japanese keyboards. Basically it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get a pound sign for emails, forum posts etc, but in documents, you can use the 'insert symbol' thing in Word (presumably similar in other programs) which calls up a list of all sorts of non-alphabetic symbols, and you just pick the pound sign. Bit complicated though. How often do you actually need to use it?

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 14:56:16

it's wrong for £ though - as Ciske said it's Alt+0163, not 0156

PippiLongBottom Sat 16-Jul-11 16:21:31

Next to L, I have ; then ' then enter. With shift they are : then @ but the symbol is double speech marks. The number 2 has the @ key over it but is actually ".

<<passes medal to anyone who folowed that>>

Ponders Sat 16-Jul-11 16:37:11

I used to have that keyboard at work grin

Mine has the same keys as yours to the right of the L, but then one more key - the enter key is cut away a bit to accommodate it.

Make a list on a post-it note of the Alt codes for those that are missing or not where they say they are (I have one with the codes for things like euro, upside-down question mark, copyright, trademark - not that I use them often, but when I do I want them now!)

NetworkGuy Sun 17-Jul-11 05:01:07

PLB- sometimes when my PC runs a bit low on memory (because I have 200 tabs open in Firefox and a pile of other programs running) the " and @ swap and I know I have to shut down some items as FF has stopped using the UK keyboard layout. Incidentally - it is only Firefox that swaps the keys over!

I think your machine has been set to UK keyboard (hence pressing shift-2 gives quote marks) but the symbols on it are the US layout.

One option would be to get a cheap UK USB keyboard and plug that in.

Another option (from times when I am using LogMeIn to remore control a client's PC and the keyboard is stuck) is to use the on-screen keyboard (comes under Accessories, Accessibility tools) which should show the correct keys for you.

NetworkGuy Sun 17-Jul-11 05:03:28

Now, anyone got a clue on how to get a hash (#) on an old iMac or eMac (I have G3 and G4 kit, but sometimes need the hash key and just go back to a Windows PC whenever I need to do any programming)

vernier Mon 18-Jul-11 14:25:09

It's Alt+35. Just tried it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now