Talk

Advanced search

Standard Broadband

(15 Posts)
vintageteacups Tue 12-Jul-11 12:31:11

Hi - have just entered our new home address and it says there is only standard broadband there as it's so far from the exchange.

I'm planning on buying an iPad once we've moved - will that be just the same speed? It will won't it? I'm crap at technology!!!

Apparently, the post office (who our current number is with) said that the new house/area is getting asdl (?) soon in November.

Will my ipad be mega slow until then?

Thanks smile

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 12-Jul-11 12:43:26

I'd suggest logging onto some ISPs websites - BT, Virgin, etc and you can usually enter your postcode to see what speed you can get. Here is the BT version. Just click on "check your speed" and you can enter your new telephone number if it's with BT or the address if it isn't.

niceguy2 Tue 12-Jul-11 14:06:24

You can also go here: BroadbandSpeedChecker and use the postcode to see roughly what speeds others are getting in your area.

vintageteacups Tue 12-Jul-11 14:17:04

I did check what the speed is (just said standard 512kb? I think)- just wondering whether it will hugely effect the ipad or will that still be faster than the laptop?

BelleDameSansMerci Tue 12-Jul-11 14:38:45

I think they'll both be quite slow, to be honest. Not sure the end device makes that much difference but could well be wrong.

niceguy2 Tue 12-Jul-11 14:44:54

Ok, first of all. If you can only get 512Kbps then that will be the fastest both your laptop and ipad can surf. So there's no difference. Neither will be "faster" than the other.

Think of broadband speed like a motorway with a speed limit. Doesn't matter if you buy a Ferrari or a Fiesta. You are limited to 70Mph.

What it will mean is that you will struggle to download big files. So if you download a lot of music, videos etc then yes you will struggle. Youtube HD clips won't probably run. You'll probably only be able to download one file at a time without wanting to kill yourself in protest! grin

If all you do is check your emails, news and Facebook then you may not even notice the difference.

In short 512Kbps is ok for light use. No good for more than that.

NetworkGuy Tue 12-Jul-11 18:01:32

"In short 512Kbps is ok for light use. No good for more than that."

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree ! It won't be ideal (or perhaps even usable) for watching video streaming using, say, BBC iPlayer, but it will still be easy to download whole shows (overnight if necessary, for example with a budget ISP that doesn't count off-peak traffic).

There's a BBC iPlayer diagnostic page which gives 'traffic lights' for the various services - I just ran it and put a link > online here < - I suspect it will be a little optimistic to suggest streaming video will work, but last year when I had only a third of the speed I was still far from a "light user" (currently typical month traffic is 100++ GB, then much lower).

It should be fine for short video clips, browsing, e-mail and radio (even the HD BBC Radio 3 which i think runs at 320 kbps (though admittedly only on one machine at a time).

Please remember that back in 2000, we all started with 500 kbps and it is far from slow (10+ times the speed of dial-up) - but admittedly, 500 kbps does not compare with 5000 or 50,000 kbps which some (on Virgin cable) may be getting.

I think RightMove has started showing details of broadband along with other house details. Something to check on if buying when looking online at homes...

NetworkGuy Tue 12-Jul-11 18:07:47

sorry - meant to add I put a screen shot of my results on that page, and that is followed by the link to the BBC speed test page.

vintageteacups Tue 12-Jul-11 18:50:41

Thanks guys - and thanks for your pm network guy.

So are you basically saying, I won't be able to watch Holby on BBC iPlayer? grin unless I stream it rather than 'watching now'?

Oh well - I guess not too long to wait until November when they're sorting ASDL.

Thank you.

VforViennetta Tue 12-Jul-11 19:54:13

Can you get 3G ipads? That might be faster.

VforViennetta Tue 12-Jul-11 19:57:15

Also depends on the coverage but you might be better off getting a 3 dongle and waiting for the exchange to be upgraded, although you sound pretty rural so coverage may be pants.

VforViennetta Tue 12-Jul-11 20:02:07

We had 512kbps speed when we first moved to our flat, we didn't know any better so thought it was great grin streaming video was a problem though. It went up to 2 mbps when adsl+ was installed, then 4 mbps when adsl 2+ came about, we are at the heady heights of 6 mbps in our current house, luxury.

vintageteacups Tue 12-Jul-11 20:14:15

Note the error - I called it ASDL - that's how little I know grin.

vintageteacups Tue 12-Jul-11 20:14:59

Didn't want a 3G ipad as it's a monthly contract and I'll only be using it at home really.

NetworkGuy Tue 12-Jul-11 21:25:18

You'd be able to download very easily but not watch it streaming over the connection.
Downloading it during the night is what I'd recommend.

VforV - I'm so envious... Where I was before I could get 7 Mbps and now that exchange would probably be giving me 10 or more Mbps, but I had to move and the village I'm in is about 5/6 km from the exchange (and it's a satellite off the main town exchange so has older equipment and fewer alternative ISPs), so I'm getting 2 to 2.5 Mbps now (last year with a fault on the line, it was 160 kbps, a third of the basic 500 kbps).

Some people in rural areas (with interference from electric fences) are only getting 250 kbps, but the TV ads by BT mentioning 40 Mbps or Virgin (which offers 10, 50 and 100 Mbps) are getting me down now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now