Talk

Advanced search

Loss Word Document - where has it gone?!!

(13 Posts)
Niecie Sun 10-Jul-11 20:28:38

I was working on one computer but needed to move to another one so I sent the unfinished document via email to myself. All was fine, I moved to the new computer, downloaded the doc and carried on typing. I know I should have done a Save As but I didn't, I just pressed save, several times and then closed the document. I was going to send it to somebody else but when I went to attach it to the email, it was nowhere to be found. Grrrrrrr

I have looked at the email I sent myself, it hasn't been updated there. I have done searches and looked on Recently Changed and Desktop. It has vanished.

Does anybody have any idea where it might be or do I have to redo the whole thing (an hour's work at least)?

Any help gratefuly received.

kayah Sun 10-Jul-11 22:34:25

I would assume by default is on C drive.
Did yo ud othe search looking for *.doc ?

Also - are you sure it saved inthe .doc format?

niceguy2 Sun 10-Jul-11 22:36:46

If you've saved it, won't it be in the most recently opened documents when you click on the File menu?

Otherwise, try the temp folder. Start -> Run -> %temp%

Hassled Sun 10-Jul-11 22:37:51

Is there a temp folder it would be stuck in? That's our default for downloaded files. You're going to have to do a search for it - it will be there somewhere.

Niecie Sun 10-Jul-11 23:28:32

Thanks for your replies. I have had no luck I am afraid.

I didn't save it as a .doc I don't think. I forgot I had downloaded it and not saved it properly.

It didn't appear on the recently opened list when I opened up Word.

I have searched the temp files but the last one was modified in 16th May. confused

It is in this machine somewhere, I'm sure, but where might just remain a mystery.

The doc were some minutes of meeting and I was supposed to send them to the clerk this evening. She has kindly said that she can wait until tomorrow so I will just do them again.<sigh>

kayah Mon 11-Jul-11 00:00:45

search all documents on your PC for that date

kayah Mon 11-Jul-11 00:02:08

another way would be to oen any other similar file whoch has arrived via the same mail, open it the same way and then save it

look where it has been saved by default

allthefires Mon 11-Jul-11 00:09:44

This happened to me and uni couldn't retrieve it. Apparently it's becomes a temp Internet file and gets deleted. I
Missed an assignment deadline.

kayah Mon 11-Jul-11 00:19:15

then this may help

compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/ht/findtempfiles.htm

Niecie Mon 11-Jul-11 09:32:01

allthefires - sad that happened to me about 4 yrs ago - not sure if it was the same reason but it just disappeared. It is the absolute pits isn't it? I had to phone my tutor up (OU course) and ask for an extension and just burst into tears. I don't think she thought I was making an excuse after that.blush To make matters worse it was 5 days before Christmas so instead of enjoying the Christmas build up I was re-writing my assignment.

Thankfully not an essay this time but a set of minutes for a school governors meeting that is supposed to be published by certain dates. Not the end of the world if I don't do it but still not good.

No luck with any of the other suggestions - I am determined to find it but it will have to wait until after i have done the job.

Thanks everybody.

allthefires Mon 11-Jul-11 09:43:21

Yes it's gutting. I got an extension too due to other circs too. The learning centre assistant seemed to enjoy my suffering but shes always been nasty!

Hope you find it x

wellwisher Wed 13-Jul-11 23:46:51

Have you checked your Downloads folder?

Niecie Thu 14-Jul-11 16:41:15

Thank wellwisher. I did check it but nothing was found. It could have been called something strange I wouldn't have known. However, I did open everything I found with the right date on it so that shouldn't have made a difference. It really must be on here somewhere as I am sure it would say if it couldn't find anywhere to save to.

Never mind. I spent a morning redoing the minutes - it took longer second time around probably because I got fed up of looking at them!

Saving a downloaded document without doing Save As is just one more thing to add to the list of Things I Will Never Do Again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now