Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me all about Android phones?

(8 Posts)
WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 06-Jul-11 08:13:27

It's not for me really (I'm an iphone addict myself), but for DH. He wants to upgrade his old phone to a smart phone. He fancies the idea of an android, but isn't the most techno savvy.

What features/specs should he look out for?
What are the main differences between Android and iphone?
Any phone recommendations?
Can you put music on Android phones? Does it work with itunes?

He needs something for basic surfing, connecting to his hotmail, fb, twitter etc. Something that's fairly easy to use, ideally with a reasonable camera. It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing - he's got a blackberry for work so it's just really for personal/fun stuff.

TIA.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 06-Jul-11 08:20:21

The only thing you need to know is the letters H, T and C. grin

Features/specs depend upon what you want your phone for. Personally I look for a half decent camera and a large or expandable memory.
Main difference is the operating system. I-phone has a better battery life. Android phones usually have better features and are more reliable and cheaper.
HTC. I have the Desire, but the new one looks very good also.
Yes you can put music on, but it won't work with i-tunes the way an i-phone would. You can drag and drop music from i-tunes to your Android phone, like you can for any mp4 player.

HTH.

WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 06-Jul-11 15:00:20

Thank you! Which one is the new desire? Have heard good things about the desire.

niceguy2 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:28:38

What's his budget per month?

I'd say a good all round phone is the HTC Desire S. Usually it will cost you around 25 quid per month(ish)

I had the HTC Sensation but given it to my GF now (long story). That is the current top of the range phone from HTC and the camera is AWESOME. Best I've seen so far. You'd expect to pay around 35 for that per month.

If you want the best money can currently get then it's arguably the Samsung Galaxy S2. Around same price as Sensation and is currently flying off the shelves. Personally I didn't like the styling and it felt a bit on the light side but the specs are awesome and the fastest phone around.

WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 06-Jul-11 19:08:12

Thanks. He probably doesn't want to pay much more than about £25 per month as he wouldn't use all the minutes, texts etc with more expensive packages, but would pay a bit more upfront for the phone to get a cheaper monthly rate. I'll check out the ones you've mentioned. Thanks again.

TennisFan Wed 06-Jul-11 19:17:05

Try the Samsung Galaxy S (its a bit smaller than the S2) - I just got it for my DS, and its really great - nearly as good as my iphone!
We got a fantastic contract for £18/month with more minutes/data/texts etc than he will need.

Jbck Wed 06-Jul-11 19:39:56

TennisFan can I ask who that contract was with?

WhatWouldLeoDo Thu 07-Jul-11 10:41:29

Thanks for all these suggestions - have passed them all onto DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now