Talk

Advanced search

Lightbulbs - how long should they last?

(6 Posts)
housemum Tue 05-Jul-11 22:08:33

OK, not sure if this is really "geeky" but it's electrical so here goes. We have a light fitting in the kitchen with 3 halogen bulbs - the kitchen was new in September, I think each bulb has been replaced once, a couple twice. How long should the feckers actually last?
this is the light type - John Lewis spotlights

niceguy2 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:54:41

Mine last ages. The four I have in my stepson's room have been there for as long as I can remember. You may want to get an electrician to check the supply out. Are you using decent quality bulbs? It certainly doesn't sound right.

housemum Tue 05-Jul-11 23:55:54

The bulbs were the ones that came with it then some GE or Phillips ones from B&Q. Sounds like I need to get the fitter back in to check, as he did the electrics.

LittlePushka Wed 06-Jul-11 00:30:31

We just had loads fitted and 4 out of about 32 have gone in less than 6 weeks. One is possibly to do with a specific transformer put in place for that one light, (in the kitchen wall unit). The rest are not electrical related, so we are told... But I am about to repalce them and this time I will be timing how long they take to go.

They should last years. We have had a dozen or so GU10 light fittings for 11 years and we have only had to replace 2 or 3 of the bulbs in that time.

NetworkGuy Thu 07-Jul-11 18:08:21

I wonder how much air space you have around yours, CAUP. I have a load of GU10 fittings ready to use when one of the ceilings is replaced and I know there are quite a lot of different fittings available, some giving more space for cooling than others. There are some meeting a safety standard against fire as well.

I would consider replacing the halogens with LED GU10s. A friend with a large old house extended his dining room into the kitchen and used the 3W LED lamps (might be different to the GU10 fitting). I think they were close to 40 quid each (he needed a dozen, and went for the upper end ones because with very high ceilings, it is a major hassle to reach them). The other reason for them costing so much is that they can be dimmed, which is not the case for some other low energy bulbs (fluorescent types).

There are cheaper LED GU10s available, as I'm not expecting anyone to want to spend 100+ for 3 bulbs, but if they are in the kitchen and get hot from the energy they put out, and then have to cope with the heat/ steam from cooking, it might be part of the reason for some failures. It may be worth adding some additional downlights (also GU10s) to supplement the 3 if the light levels in some parts seems low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now