Talk

Advanced search

Can someone recommend free online forum application to set up for closed group discussions?

(12 Posts)
HopeForTheBest Tue 05-Jul-11 16:38:33

No, not another Moldie thread grin

I need to set up a private online discussion area for a closed group.
We are a group of volunteers who are organising an event, and in previous years it has all been done by email which is not particularly effective.

I am looking for something which could have a couple of different areas (topics), threads in the same sort of style as MN, email notification as necessary, and an intergrated calendar function would be fantastic.
It should also be private ie not Googlable and not readable to anyone except members.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It should be very simple to set up and run.

(Don't ask for much, do I? grin )

UsingMainlySpoons Tue 05-Jul-11 19:22:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

niceguy2 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:52:47

OK given it's for a volunteer group, I'm assuming you'll want something free preferably and also assuming technical knowledge is limited.

One of the most popular forum software out there is PHPBB. It's free and there are companies out there who will provide you everything for free including hosting. In return usually there will be adverts or perhaps restrictions unless you pay.

Try FreeForums There are other hosting companies so google it. You can if you have the time/effort, resources and knowledge, set up one and get someone to just host it but of course you'd pay.

As for calendar functionality, that's more difficult. Forum software rarely works well as a calendar too although there are mods out there. My advice would be to create a Google calendar, share it to volunteers and get them to check it by posting notifications on the forum.

Hope that helps

HopeForTheBest Wed 06-Jul-11 17:02:34

Thank you.

Yes, I am looking for something free, pref. with hosting too. Ads would not be a problem.
It is just that we need an area where we can discuss stuff as emailing is not the most efficient way to do it. I'm assuming that a private discussion board is the best solution, but if anyone can think of anything else, I'd be grateful!
It needs to be accessable from everywhere (so nothing which requires software on computer).
A calendar function would be good because we have deadlines, so it would be useful to see that along with the discussions iyswim.

I had a Google and so much stuff came up I didn't really know where to start!

mranchovy Wed 06-Jul-11 22:43:50

Google Groups is made for this.

mranchovy Wed 06-Jul-11 22:51:17

.. or for something that is based mainly around tasks and deadlines, perhaps the free version of a project collaboration tool like Basecamp which is the market leader, or my personal favourite Teamwork PM.

piprabbit Wed 06-Jul-11 22:52:25

Any reason why you couldn't set up a closed Facebook group?

LawrieMarlow Wed 06-Jul-11 23:09:20

I use Freeforums for a group I am part of. We have the discussion part passworded although am not sure if it is googleable or not. Have never seen a calendar on there but it isn't something we've ever needed.

Kewcumber Wed 06-Jul-11 23:14:25

I use Yahoo groups for an ongoing group which is private. Entry by invitation of mod or application only

HopeForTheBest Thu 07-Jul-11 20:17:17

Google Groups I think would be perfect, but not everyone has a google email address/account (which you need), and tbh most of them have enough trouble with the two email addresses they have a the moment (private plus the official organisation one).

They are not all on FB and I am loathe to try and get them on it only to have them inundated with a million FB emails, privacy issues etc.

Yahoo groups - hadn't thought of that, but will have a look. Do you have to have a Yahoo account for that?

mranchovy Thu 07-Jul-11 20:59:07

You don't need to have a gmail address to sign up for Google Groups, just a google account which you can use ANY email for. Same with Yahoo, but I think Google apps have better functionality overall (Google Calendar in particular), and I find Yahoo's attempts at monetising more intrusive.

HopeForTheBest Wed 13-Jul-11 09:53:42

I've been looking into the Google Groups and I think you're right, it's exactly what we're looking for (at least to start off with).

Thank you so much!

And I did not know that you could set up a Google account with any email address....you really do learn something new every day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now