Talk

Advanced search

I don't understand Apps

(7 Posts)
jumpyjan Wed 29-Jun-11 12:18:21

My new Samsung Galaxy Ace turned up this morning - and I have no idea how to use it to its full potential confused

I started downloading a facebook app but don't really understand what is different about that as opposed to just going on facebook. Also when I open the app I appear to be logged in but can't find a way to log out.

Help much appreciated as I am clueless at this stuff.

nocake Wed 29-Jun-11 12:27:15

I helps if you think of your phone as a small computer that has a phone application on it. Apps are simply software that runs on the computer, like you'd run Word or Excel on your PC at home.

As for the facebook app... it is a better way of using facebook on the small screen that trying to use the browser. It runs faster by only offering some of the facebook facilities. You can log out by pressing the menu button, which gives you a number of options including "log out".

niceguy2 Wed 29-Jun-11 12:28:57

The answer is not very much. And that's the point. There shouldn't be too much difference between the app & the web version. You will still see your news feeds, friends, messages etc.

The main difference is your phone should now send you notifications when your friends tag you or respond to a comment etc.

You can log out if you want to from the main screen. Press the menu button and choose logout. But most ppl will leave themselves logged in on their phone so they can get easy access and updates.

rubybambini Wed 29-Jun-11 12:31:58

Hello - it depends on the type of app. For example, some apps are designed to work offline, eg, some recipe apps. The benefit in that case being that if you're in the middle of nowhere with no wifi or phone signal, you'd still be able to search the recipes in the app.

Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc...good question. They really depend on being 'live' and networked (wifi or otherwise) so that you can see other people's updates. The main benefit in that case is that the app (should have been) designed to work well on your device, eg all the content fits on screen, the interface is easy to use and so on. It's probably also put a start icon on your device's home screen, so that you can access it instantly, rather than having to go to a browser and go www.

Unsure about logging out, as I don't use Samsung products - maybe look for the Settings or a cog wheel icon.

jumpyjan Wed 29-Jun-11 12:39:08

Thanks everyone thats really helpful. I think I get it now. Have to say facebook does look different to what I have on my pc - its got loads more news and status updates on there. However, I don't think I can log out - can't find a menu button - perhaps the idea is that I am not supposed to log out?

What other apps to I need in my life? smile

niceguy2 Wed 29-Jun-11 15:42:22

To log on, go to the main screen where you can see Newsfeed, mail etc. Then press the menu button which on the Ace, should be the button on the bottom left of your phone, next to the big button.

But why logout? It just means you have to login each time. Just put a PIN lock on your phone if you are concerned about security and someone fraping you.

jumpyjan Wed 29-Jun-11 20:48:24

Thank you will stay logged on. Don't think dh interested in frapping me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now