Talk

Advanced search

2 questions re iPad

(6 Posts)
Daydreaming Mon 27-Jun-11 23:06:34

I have a new iPad 3G, which I am loving. Just two questions:
- firstly, if I am at home I want to make sure I am using my wireless broadband rather than the mobile network. How do I check this?

- secondly, should I get a screen protector for it to prevent scratching?

Thanks!!!!!

5GoMadOnAZ650 Mon 27-Jun-11 23:08:58

Go to settings then wifi and it will tell you if you are connected to hour home network. I haven't got a screen protector but I do keep mine in a hard fold over case to protect it.

Conkertree Mon 27-Jun-11 23:09:04

Dont know about the first, sorry, but definitely yes for the second. I got a pack of three and am very glad I did seeing some of the scratches on the protector.

Swore dc wouldnt get to use it, but that fell by the wayside pretty early on.

Enraha Mon 27-Jun-11 23:11:34

1) You can turn off the cellular signal in settings.

2) Yes, they can be a bit fiddly to put on though. Check there isn't one on already from the packaging. If you try to put another one on top, it doesn't work and bubbles up something chronic.

niceguy2 Tue 28-Jun-11 11:13:06

You can easily tell if an ipad is using wifi or not. Just look at the icon at the top of the ipad. If there's a wifi symbol then you are on wifi. If there's a 3G, E or a dot then you are using mobile broadband.

As for screen protectors, personally I think it's a must. Even for screens with gorilla glass, I'd personally rather have one than not. My logic is that it's better to have one than none.

You can get a pack from ebay for really cheap. If you've never done it before, I recommend getting a few as it's a bit fiddly.

My tips are to use a glass cloth and screen cleaner to polish the screen. Shine a lamp onto the ipad and using the cloth, make sure there's absolutely no specs of dust at all. This can take AGES! lol

Also have a roll of good quality sellotape to hand.

Peel the first part of the screen protector off slightly, align it the best you can and start peeling it back, using a small piece of cardboard or credit card to smooth it down slowly.

Once it's on, use your glass cloth to get all the bubbles out. This is where you will find out if you've got dust still on the screen.

If you have, use a piece of the sellotape to lift the protector off, do NOT use your fingernails. Use another piece of sellotape to dab the dust particle off and then reapply.

Patience is the key and with luck your protector will look completely invisible.

MmeLindor. Wed 29-Jun-11 11:26:34

If you can see the wifi sign in the top left corner then you are using wifi (looks like a rainbow)

Go for a Magic Screen protector. I tried cheap ones and found they were very difficult to put on. This one has lasted for ages. I have them on all our Apple products. They don't peel off the corners or slip around, like some of the cheaper versions do.

Slightly more expensive but definitely worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now