Talk

Advanced search

Tablet or Laptop?

(6 Posts)

Have a work laptop that is pretty locked down and not really appropriate for home use and thinking I need something else.

Question is what to buy?

I'm thinking that a tablet might be a good idea but are they good enough to buy one yet?

I need...

Something portable
Nothing too pricey
Something for music storage and spotify and photos
Something for occasional letters and personal finance
Something beautiful
Something for mn and internet

I don't think I want an ipad as it has no usb?

Any thoughts anyone? I saw the Asus? reviews.

I like android as I love my desire.

Wondering whether I should wait for more tablets to be launched also.

Parietal Mon 27-Jun-11 06:03:49

iPad is lovely but not for writing letters. It is mainly good for web browsing and toddler games. I'd recommend a laptop.

MmeLindor. Wed 29-Jun-11 11:30:07

Do you need USB? I thought it would be a problem not having one, but I have never missed it.

iPad is great. If you only write occasional emails it is ok, great for MN and internet.

You can buy a case with integrated keyboard.

I write on my iPad, it is possible.

MoreBeta Wed 29-Jun-11 11:47:01

Been making this decison myself in the last few days.

In the end I went for an ultra cheap laptop at £230 rather than spash out on an Asus (with detachable keyboard) at near twice the price.

If I were going for a tablet the Asus is the one I would have had though as it has a USB port. I really liked the Samsung Galaxy but no USB port. I wouldn't buy Apple because of the way they always try an lock you into their operating system.

The next time I may well get a tablet. By then the price, power and functionality will surely match a current laptop.

MoreBeta Wed 29-Jun-11 11:50:33

How about a cheap netbook? Even cheaper if you just want browsing and email and a bit of simple gaming and video.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go for an ipad. Lack of Usb and being tied into Apple really put me off.

I think a notebook or small laptop would be good from a functional perspective but having had a work laptop for years I guess I'm looking for something different also. When I travel with work I also feel like I could take a tablet with me but not another laptop. So I guess I have a real wish for something that is light and small.

Does anyone have an Asus as it does seem to be the best tablet? Take on board the comment about the cost though..not cheap is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now