Talk

Advanced search

Virus alert

(14 Posts)
deste Sun 26-Jun-11 19:05:59

I keep getting an alert saying that I have a programe working in the background and my passwords and accounts could be in danger. Vista antivirus keeps popping up asking if I want to purchase the full programe now to get rid of the virus. I do have Macafee which I purchased and it tells me my computer is safe but my Internet is crashing. I have had to use the iPad for this as I can't get into my PC. Anyone have any ideas please.

deste Sun 26-Jun-11 20:08:26

Bump

tribpot Sun 26-Jun-11 20:12:11

I've had one that sounds like that. It's nasty as it actually blocks your real anti-virus programme from running (claims it's a virus).

When it kicks up a warning message, press CTRL + ALT + DEL and it should list the programme in your list of running programme. Select it and right click and select 'Go to process'. That should open the second tab which will tell you the name of the actual process that it's executing, which will give you a much better idea of how to fix the problem.

I hope that makes sense - it's been a while since I used a Windows laptop.

deste Sun 26-Jun-11 20:23:29

Ok I will have a go thanks.

deste Sun 26-Jun-11 20:43:38

I have tried that but it just takes me to the log off/ change password etc page. Am I doing something wrong or just being thick.

tribpot Sun 26-Jun-11 20:47:44

No, I think I'm just describing it badly cos I'm making it up from memory.

So you hit CTRL + ALT + DEL and what do you see? Is that where you see the log off/change password window? If so, is there a button called Task Manager on there?

deste Sun 26-Jun-11 21:28:11

Ok I have found that but am not sure what to do next thanks.

tribpot Sun 26-Jun-11 21:44:36

Right, so if you click on Task Manager, it will show you a list of windows that are open, one of which will be the pop up window telling you about the alleged virus. If nothing else is open (Word, Internet Explorer, etc) it'll be the only thing in the list.

bubbles4 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:13:35

Have a read of this page here,it gives instructions on how to remove this virus.

zandy Sun 26-Jun-11 22:41:37

I had this virus today. I used the page above. It worked.

deste Sun 26-Jun-11 23:39:31

I can't now get my computer started I think it needs professional help. I will try again in the morning. My iPad is also saying there is a virus.

Mousey84 Mon 27-Jun-11 00:05:47

Your iPad has the same virus message?!

Mcafee is rubbish. I had same virus a few weeks back and it hid files, injected Keyloggers etc. If you can get a copy of mbam and avg (the free one) on cd, unplug net from pc and run those two. I was also running mcafee and it didn't pick virus up!

For iPad, Have a look at macdefender (from a different device)

deste Mon 27-Jun-11 12:49:03

Thankyou I have managed to get rid of the message and reinstated my Internet but I have lost my favourites bar at the top. How can I get it back please.

deste Mon 27-Jun-11 16:16:46

Its ok I've fixed everything. Thanks for all your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now