Talk

Advanced search

trouble with signal from router

(6 Posts)
gingeroots Tue 21-Jun-11 20:06:17

I'm not very knowledgeable ,so bear with me ...
we have a Cisco-Linsky router with a PS3 connected to it by a cable and a lap top that connects wirelessly .
Problems are
1 - laptop ( about 40 feet away ,straight line ,no intervening walls ) looses signal ,won't connect and my network does not appear in the list of available networks. If I go and sit next to router it will connect . This happens periodically .

2 - if PS3 is on line laptop will only connect if I sit next to router

I've already had the channel on router changed ( to 2 ) and I've just downloaded some software that lets me see other routers in vicinity and none of them are on same channel . Though I can see that one other ,that often shows as an available network with a strong signal when mine is missing , "uses ? " 2.4 GHz channel and everyone else uses 5 Ghz .( whatever that means )

I've taken delivery of a second laptop today but I'm dreading trying to get it to connect - we struggle enough with one ,let alone 2 .

Any advice ,pointers ?
Or should I pay the nice internet shop down the road to come and help me ?

Mucho TIA

gingeroots Wed 22-Jun-11 18:01:33

anyone ?
I know it's not a very exciting topic ,but really it drives me bonkers !

niceguy2 Wed 22-Jun-11 20:01:04

Think you need to narrow it down a bit.

Have you or can you borrow another brand of router from someone? You don't need to actually link it to the Internet. You just need to sit it in the same location as yours is and try to connect to the wifi from various locations and see if you are getting similar reception.

Doing this will allow you to determine if it's a problem with your router or a general wifi issue.

Unfortunately a lot of things use the 2.4Ghz spectrum, including baby monitors, walkie talkies so it could be a lot of interference.

gingeroots Wed 22-Jun-11 20:17:01

Thanks niceguy ,maybe a router that uses 5ghz is generally better ?

niceguy2 Wed 22-Jun-11 20:45:41

No, not really. 5Ghz is a newer frequency but it's useless to you at the moment because you want to connect a PS3 which can't use the newer frequency.

Your new laptop might support it but chances are most don't. Most will stick to 2.4Ghz.

gingeroots Wed 22-Jun-11 21:27:35

Thanks again - see a little knowledge is ( for me ) dangerous !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now