Talk

Advanced search

Excel spreadsheet woes, please advise?

(7 Posts)
KateMiddletonsMum Mon 20-Jun-11 19:38:34

Daft question I'm sure, but on my computer I have loads of excel spreadsheets. on each one are lots of job numbers for work done/time taken.
What I want to do is just "search" for the job number and the right spreadsheet to pop up, I just wonder why it doesn't work !

Medee Mon 20-Jun-11 21:07:10

when you do "find" you can select sheet or workbook. Or if you mean individual files, you should be able to select a search to be within a file, rather than just search for a file name.

niceguy2 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:50:30

Which version of Windows are you using? If it's Vista or Windows 7 then you should be able to type the job number in the search bit when you click Start.

If it's XP then you may want to consider using something like Google Desktop to index your files. I use this for work and I love it. I have indexed all my work emails, documents & spreadsheets and can "google" any key phrase and it pulls everything up just like going on Google itself.

KateMiddletonsMum Mon 20-Jun-11 21:58:55

Thank you, there's 50 or so excel files with 5 days work on each, all in a folder called "worksheets". I've tried with the "search" facility (little dog?) to type in the jobcard number, asking it to only search in the "worksheets" folder but it won't locate the job cards number, and if I search entire computer they don't show up either angry
So...have I "hidden" the data or something?

I will download the google search though, thank you.

KateMiddletonsMum Thu 23-Jun-11 18:37:35

Google Desktop worked! grin

niceguy2 Thu 23-Jun-11 22:18:02

Glad it worked for you. Since you mentioned the little dog, i assume you are on XP in which case you did need something like Google Desktop.

Word of warning though. You may want to go into settings and turn off web history. Otherwise it will also index that. Anyone with access to your computer can then get a full history of what you've been searching.

KateMiddletonsMum Thu 23-Jun-11 22:55:04

Thank you, I will do that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now