Talk

Advanced search

Anyone changed an iPhone battery themselves?

(6 Posts)
chimchar Fri 17-Jun-11 20:45:57

My iPhone ( hand me down from dh) has a shitty battery. It keeps running down after a few hours of being unused and is fairly old now.

It's £70 from apple or dh can buy one off tinterweb and try it himself. To be fair, he's brill at stuff like that.

Wondered if anyone had done it and succeeded or failed miserably, and had any tips!

Ta muchly.

chimchar Fri 17-Jun-11 21:39:31

Bumpety bump.

DollyTwat Fri 17-Jun-11 21:46:08

I'd take it to apple
I've learned the hard way with ds's DS
I took it apart ok and changed the case, but it never worked again

Hardware is not my strong point!

niceguy2 Sat 18-Jun-11 00:20:44

You CAN do it yourself and there are guides on the Internet on how to do it.

To be fair for £70 I'd get Apple to do it.

You pretty much have to pull the screen off with a sucker cup, dismantle the entire phone which has a variety of screws and disconnect quite a few ribbon cables.

I'm a geek and I wouldn't want to risk damaging my expensive phone just to save a few quid.

chimchar Sat 18-Jun-11 08:43:02

ok. fair enough.

dh is VERY good to be fair....he's done all sorts of stuff related to the insides of video games etc, but i don't think i can stand to be without my beloved phone if it all goes wrong! (nor can i afford to replace it)

thanks smile

niceguy2 Sat 18-Jun-11 12:37:14

In that case, go to YouTube and get him to have a look at the instructions. See if he feels confident enough.

There are also other companies out there other than Apple who will do it for you and probably charge you less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now