Talk

Advanced search

I have just flushed my iphone down the loo..:(

(14 Posts)

Actually flushed (it dropped out of my pocket as I stood up!) I retrieved it but the screen light went out immediately. Turned it off.

Is there any hope?!?! I have it in a bag of rice at the mo!! It's been my precioussssss for 2.5 yearssad

Mummyloveskisses Mon 13-Jun-11 16:22:18

Poor you.... I have no extra advice, sorry.... was gonna say about the rice sad

Will keep fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed for you xxx

DooinMeCleanin Mon 13-Jun-11 16:24:08

It jumped down the loo itself. It's ashamed that you have to put up with it when it knows that really you deserve a HTC. It's done you a favour really.

iEmbarassedMyself Mon 13-Jun-11 16:26:44

There's definitely hope!
Just leave it for a few days to dry out and don't try to turn it on till you think it's fully dry.
But if it's dead then hey, that HTC does look good wink

Poogles Mon 13-Jun-11 16:33:31

DS dropped my iPhone into a bowl of washing up water over a year ago. Took me & DH 20 minutes to locate it. Left it to dry out and it has worked fine ever since. Took it to the Apple store recently to have the screen changed after dropping it and they shone a torch in it, told me it had water damage and asked if I wanted that fixed. As it has worked perfectly for over a year I said no!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 13-Jun-11 16:39:31

Just leave it in the rice for as long as you can stand, at least a week. All is not lost smile

CoteDAzur Mon 13-Jun-11 16:48:47

Mine went into the toilet and stayed there for at least an hour, and it worked after a few weeks.

This is what I did: Stuck it in the oven for 15 minutes. Then left it on the radiator for two weeks.

When I turned it on after two weeks, I got the message "iTunes discovered an iPhone in recovery. Would you like to restore?" or some such. I said "Yes", and it did smile

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 19:25:43

I got mine replaced on home insurance.....personal effects cover

Lifeissweet Mon 13-Jun-11 19:29:26

Push that little button on the top and take out the sim card so that it doesn't rust and you can get the air to the inside of the phone. Then do as the others say and leave it to dry out. I got mine wet and did this and it is now fine (although the back-light still goes out sometimes and I have to restart it to get it back). They are actually surprisingly robust!

Oh - and btw, the camera lense on the back is a good gauge of whether it's dry inside as mine got steamed up when it was still wet, but is now clear. Good luck!

Islanzadi Sun 19-Jun-11 01:29:30

i'm not sure if you heard of silica pads - you sometimes get them in handbags or shoe boxes. they absorb moisture beautifully. my husband worked as an it technician and once managed to save a completely soaked laptop with a girl's coursework on it. it might be worth a try. someone told me the iphone has a self-defence mechanism - when it gets water damaged the battery cuts off and gets drained immediately to prevent it from getting damaged so you could save it i think.

BitOfFun Sun 19-Jun-11 02:39:17

Are you insured for it?

BitOfFun Sun 19-Jun-11 02:45:00

And what version is it?

My 3GS went through the wash a couple of weeks ago. It recovered enough to switch on after a week, but wouldn't reconnect to iTunes so I could back up. I manually copied my contacts, had a last loving look at my photos, and said goodbye.

I had phone insurance, paid the fifty quid excess, and got a new phone (iphone4, yay). I lost data, but had to be philosophical.

NetworkGuy Sun 19-Jun-11 12:57:53

Oh, shame you lost those photos, BoF. I was only thinking the other day how many parents must have loads of photos they want for themselves (and to share with GPs and close family), and *> a way to put them online <*for sharing (and backup!).

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 15:40:29

NetworkGuy
Won't the new iCloud do that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now