Talk

Advanced search

Toshiba tv not getting film4

(7 Posts)
Jux Sun 12-Jun-11 18:54:14

which is bit mental as it always did before. I don't know how long it's been like but not long, a few days maybe. I've rescanned for channels, no joy. The other tv gets film4 so it can't be engineering works. We'd use the other tv but it's over 30 years old, solid state, black and white and tiny! I'd never see anything with my failing eyesight!

Any ideas?

NetworkGuy Sun 12-Jun-11 21:29:57

Probably too awkward to move the Toshiba to where the other (old) TV is, but based on the age, I assume you have a Freeview box for the old one.

If that's the case, can you try the Freeview box plugged into the Toshiba (yes, I know you shouldn't need to) and use a SCART plug from the box to the Tosh.

If that works, it suggests the Toshiba receiver is less sensitive than the Freeview box. Then one could start considering the quality of the signal /aerial cable to the Toshiba.

Jux Sun 12-Jun-11 22:50:35

Thanks. I can connect the freeview box - I'll do it tomorrow and see what happens - but the really stupid thing is that it was fine until a couple of days ago, and nothing at all has changed (except the loss of Film4).

Mind you, dh thinks the Toshiba is a pile of sh*t.

NetworkGuy Mon 13-Jun-11 09:51:03

so you've had no high winds, strong rain, or anything else which might affect your aerial, the trees, or the transmitter aerial then ?

Do you know which transmitter or relay your signals come from ? The Digital UK website has some technical pages (you enter your postcode and house number, and then 'tick' the box indicating you are in the aerial installation business, and it gives more info, dates, and some notes on what changes are made).

Here in 'Granadaland' (I'm in N Wales, but depending on where you live, signals come from HTV [ITV Wales], Central [Birmingham] or Granada [Manchester], so aerials point in all sorts of directions) the switchover took place in 2009, but there is still some work to do in September 2011 for Granada, and to 2013 for both the other regions.

Many of the 'follow up' jobs after digital switchover were to alter transmitter coverage patterns (to cut down on interference) and some were to turn off channels (the top channels like 67, 66 and maybe a few close by will be sold off in the next few years for mobile phone networks).

Once all the regions have switched it will be possible to pump up the transmitter power again.

When there were both analogue and digital signals, from Winter Hill, the analogue channels mostly used 500 KW output power while the digital signals were mostly 50 KW, and one was 12.5 KW. Now that the analogue transmissions are off, they have increased the power to 100 KW except for one, COM6 (I assume it is 'commercial mux 6' because they renamed them from A B C D and 1 2 to give 3 for commercial channels [4,5,6] and 3 for public sector broadcasting [1, 2, 3]). Would you believe it but COM6 is still 12.5 KW and carries Film4
(also carries Yesterday, 4Music, Viva, ITV4. Russia Today, Al Jazeera, and a number of adult junk channels, plus some radio stations like The Hits, Kerrang, Smash Hits!, Kiss, heat,
Magic and Smooth Radio.

No proof that Film 4 is on a lower power transmission in your area, of course, but it might be the case.

NetworkGuy Sun 26-Jun-11 14:01:45

Is Film4 working yet for you ?

Jux Sun 26-Jun-11 20:39:55

I gave up hope as I had to rely on dh digging out the aerial he'd seen somewhere among my bro's stuff, and I knew that could take some time. We've got the aerial and NO! It has made no difference!! Except that the pixellation of the screen - happened a bit since we were changed over to digital - is considerably worse!

Not sure where dh put the old aerial either ......

Will pm you about the other stuff.

Milliebow Tue 05-Jul-11 12:13:55

Networkguy. Just wanted to say thanks for the explanation above. We are in the winter hill area and quite frequently loose film4/viva for no apparent reason. Usually just as the awaited 9pm film is due to start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now