Talk

Advanced search

iGoogle - Where's it gone?

(9 Posts)
MadAsASnakeNana Sun 12-Jun-11 02:29:26

Used iGoogle as my home page for years. Now it's just disappeared and I've only got "ordinary" Google. I've tried everything, set it up again and confirm this is my only home page - but it keeps vanishing.
Anyone got any ideas.

NetworkGuy Sun 12-Jun-11 05:43:49

What browser are you using?

Have you installed anything recently?

(I ask that because different software updates sometimes come with add-on {junk} you may not want, so for example a browser might also offer to download an anti-virus application, or an anti-virus app might make the offer to provide 'safe searching' and so on {and if you accept the 'junk' extras, you may find settings you previously had are overwritten in favour of their replacements}.

It used to be quite common for people to add 'free' items like a screen saver or add-ons for e-mail and then find there was a search facility {possibly called MyWebSearch} which they did not recognise but was part of the small print in the terms of the download they had made.

Worst thing was that some of these add-ons are for MS Internet Explorer and as far as I know, few can be deleted. Some might be disabled, but there are often no 'delete' methods shown for them. Also, as they are BHOs (Browser Helper Objects) they are loaded as soon as you use MS IE and some have in the past been found to include malware but as BHOs they cannot be so easily removed and were given access to data held by the browser itself.

Things may be changing wrt MS IE, but as I have Windows XP, not Vista or Win 7, I cannot switch to MS IE v9 browser, not that I really want to use Microsoft's browser, but it can be handy to know it works on websites I build smile

Tee2072 Sun 12-Jun-11 06:55:31

Are you logged into Google? If you are not signed in you will see regular Google. If you are logged in...I got nothing. grin

I have to ask, NetworkGuy, in what way does describing your own set up and going on about MyWebSearch answer the OP's question? Or is just that you, despite your user name, actually don't have a useful answer and feel you have to answer all Geeky Stuff posts to help out us poor, stupid women, so you blather on about not using IE and being a web designer?

NetworkGuy Sun 12-Jun-11 07:24:23

"If you are not signed in you will see regular Google."

If you are not logged in, you may see a plain display, with a search box, and a 'Sign in' button in the upper right, or might also have a box below the search box with a title of 'Create your own homepage in under 30 seconds" from Google.

I mentioned MyWebSearch because that's an example of an add-on (BHO) which supercedes the expected home page and search tools to use their own search page and presumably there is a financial incentive. It's one of many types of add-on which may be used to replace your own settings.

Tee2072 Sun 12-Jun-11 07:26:26

That plain display is regular Google. Derp.

NetworkGuy Sun 12-Jun-11 07:35:47

"regular Google" doesn't mention anything about "Sign in" and generally has some prettified page (different images, depending on the day and user's location).

MadAsASnakeNana Mon 13-Jun-11 00:02:12

Thanks Network Guy. I've signed in, had to reset my pw as it's so long since I signed in with Google, and iGoogle popped up when I logged on.
I realise now that I've been clicking on the "Google" icon, top left of screen, to navigate back to home page and this takes me back to "ordinary" Google. I may have been on several forums on MumsNet say, and this avoids pressing the back button for ever. Cannot see an iGoogle button anywhere. Do you know if there is one and how can I access this. Thanks for the help.

MadAsASnakeNana Mon 13-Jun-11 00:11:53

Just realised that there's a "home" icon top of screen. Been on the web for years - and just noticed it. Takes me back to iGoogle - no problems.

NetworkGuy Mon 13-Jun-11 10:50:53

Glad you found it. I find it odd going from Google Mail to 'web' that they don't actually have any 'iGoogle' link within GMail. It goes to www.google.com/mw (from memory, so may be wrong).

obviously you (at some distant date!) made your home page www.google.com/ig (the iGoogle address, in case it ever gets wiped out). Perhaps you saved a 'Google' bookmark to your browser 'personal favourites' (or personal tab bar, depending on which browser), hence the jump to the 'wrong' page most of the time.

Glad you spotted the 'home' button smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: