Talk

Advanced search

Mobile handsets, Tesco network or unlocked?

(22 Posts)
SevenAgainstThebes Thu 09-Jun-11 09:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 09-Jun-11 10:06:09

StroppyDad Thu 09-Jun-11 14:37:42

If you mean the type of phone with that's a touch screen with a large screen and the keyboard underneath, then something like the Nokia E7 or HTC Desire Z is what you're looking at. Neither are at the cheap end, however.

If you mean the type that has a smaller touch screen with the qwerty underneath, many Blackberrys are like this. There are also models that do this from Samsung, Nokia, etc. Some are quite cheap - but not all are touch screens.

You should be able to get your O2 mobile unlocked by phoning them up. They may charge you.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT: I think Tesco actually use the O2 network - so the phone may work anyway. Have you tried the SIM card in it?

StroppyDad Thu 09-Jun-11 14:40:30

Some links to show what I mean:

Nokia E7 www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-e7?cid=estore-fw-src-na-acq-nokia_uk-google-gb-20-estgosp_120&lpsrc=PPC

Blackberry Torch uk.blackberry.com/devices/blackberrytorch.jsp?CPID=KNC-kw79820_p8&HBX_PK=rim|33c0e18a-d742-4f09-d2a3-000013742f5d

bubbles4 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:05:29

StroppyDad is right,Tesco mobile does use the O2 network,we have been with Tesco for several years now and always buy 02 handsets and use a Tesco sim card.

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 09-Jun-11 17:09:25

I agree that Tesco do use o2 network so may be compatible.

In general any handset will be fine to use with any network unless it was specifically purchased from a network provider. Even then not all handsets will be locked.

inthesticks Thu 09-Jun-11 17:24:39

My son has a tesco sim only contract which was a really good deal. £6.00 a month for unlimited texts and 60mins calls.
He bought an unlocked Samsung handset from phones r us or somewhere similar.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 09-Jun-11 22:23:08

StroppyDad Fri 10-Jun-11 12:16:18

Haven't any experience of that phone, but it looks like you get a lot of hardware for your cash.

The only downside is that it doesn't belong to any of the platforms with lots of apps (Apple/Android/Nokia/Blackberry). A problem if you want it to be a proper smartphone.

If you do and you like that form factor, look at one of the cheaper Blackberrys or Nokia. But they probably won't have a touchscreen.

amicissima Sat 11-Jun-11 21:56:33

I had a phone on Tesco. I asked them to unlock it. They asked me why. I just said 'in case'. They emailed me an unlocking code to input. They gave me £20 credit to 'keep my loyalty'!

According to O2's website they'll send you an unlocking code after a few months if you ask.

amicissima Sat 11-Jun-11 21:59:39

Carphone Warehouse seem to sell a range of unlocked phones. Perhaps that's also true of their many online shops: mobiles.co.uk, onestopphoneshop.co.uk. You could ask.

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 22-Jun-11 16:39:23

nocake Wed 22-Jun-11 16:44:42

You need to set the correct access point name on your phone. The details are on this website

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 23-Jun-11 11:51:24

nocake Thu 23-Jun-11 12:41:09

I think it is....
Menu
Settings
Wireless and networks
Mobile networks
Access point names

I think you then press then menu key and select "New APN". When you've entered the details press the menu key again and select "save". It might also be worth deleting any APNs that are already on there so it only uses the one you've entered.

It's the network APN you want so if you're on Tesco then it's the Tesco APN.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 23-Jun-11 13:04:18

nocake Thu 23-Jun-11 13:47:32

Try creating a new network.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 23-Jun-11 15:30:56

HauntedLittleLunatic Thu 23-Jun-11 15:37:56

Try ringing your network provider. They will probably send you a text message update thingy, which onece opened will import all the correct network settings for internet and MMS

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 23-Jun-11 17:44:18

NetworkGuy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:13:23

in case you need to check (or want the spec if you sell the phone on Ebay, later), it seems the Orange Rio is a badged version of the ZTE X990 described > here <

paviya Sat 17-Nov-12 07:59:16

HI
If you need unlocking service visit www.wickedunlock.com/ Here you can unlock your mobile using unlock code.It's the best and safe way to unlock your mobile.Here they will ask your country,network provider,mobile model no.After that they will send your unlock code with simple unlock instructions via e-mail.So you can easily unlock your mobile within a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now