Talk

Advanced search

Access to my Laptop by those who set it up

(3 Posts)
gailforce1 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:59:38

I have very little computer knowledge and some time ago a relative "set up" my laptop after I had purchased it following her advice. So she knows my passwords which I have not changed since I have had it - partly because no-one else has access to my laptop and also as I do not know how to!

So my question is can she access my laptop and see which websites I have been looking at, e mails sent /received etc? I have become suspicious after a comment she made recently about websites but I did not think anything about it at the time and am now left wondering.........

Many thanks if you shed any light on this.

JBellingham Wed 08-Jun-11 15:04:55

It is 'possible' to access your laptop remotely and mooch around it if she has set it up (but unlikely). It is easy for her to sit at your laptop and look around it logging in as you.

There are various things she could glean from a look at your laptop.

Change your password and check no other 'administrator' type passwords exist. This depends on your laptop.
If Start/Setting/Control Panel/User accounts doesnt work post back with details of your latop and what operating system it uses.

Check there is only one use account (yours) and that it is an administrator, and change the password on it.

gailforce1 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:53:49

Thanks JBell She never has use of my laptop without me looking over her shoulder and that has only happened twice.
I think my worry was that she had been accessing it remotely but you think that this is unlikely?
I tried to change the password whenI logged in just now but it was not straightforward so will try and see if someone from our work IT dept would help when next visiting my office.
Thanks again for your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: