Talk

Advanced search

That's odd? I can't get onto the school website. Why is that? anybody?

(9 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 02-Jun-11 21:33:12

I can get on any other website I chose, but DD's school website is taking forever to load. hmm It's been trying to load for 10 minutes now and it was the same last night. It's not even moved off the Google search page and is showing as half loaded on the green progress bar at the bottom of the screen. The little timer is moving, so it's doing something.

What's even more odd is that, at the same time I was trying to load it, I asked a friend via Facebook to try to load it and she had no problem.

Any ideas, oh geeky ones!

TIA

TechLovingDad Fri 03-Jun-11 12:51:51

Try deleting your cache, it should then try to load the page afresh and may solve the problem.

If in Internet explorer, to go tools or options, internet options and delete cache.

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 12:56:06

It might be that the server is down. Though doesn't explain why your friend could load it fine.

If you go into your start menu and click "Run" then type in "cmd.exe" (without quotes) and then type "ping http://www.mumsnet.com/" and press enter - except replace mumsnet.com with the school website address - it will tell you if it's down or not.

MaureenMLove Fri 03-Jun-11 13:32:43

Thankyou both. I'll give it a go. Still struggling with it today.

NetworkGuy Fri 03-Jun-11 13:52:54

you might try to view it via > hidemyass.com <

it's intended as a service to give anonymous(ish) access to sites via servers in USA etc.

The 'proxy server' box allows you to enter a website address and view the pages via the HMA.com server.

If there is some problem between your ISP and your school's web server, this is a "long way round" (you connect to USA, USA connects to school server) for you to see the pages.

It proves one way or another if the server is up...

NetworkGuy Fri 03-Jun-11 13:55:06

BB - think that should have been > ping www.mumsnet.com < as the example

(or will it work with http:// as well ?)

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 14:06:02

I think so, I usually use the http:// bit. I think.

<checks>

Oh no, you are correct. Sorry OP. Do what NetworkGuy said smile

TechLovingDad Fri 03-Jun-11 14:57:46

Those methods are a bit long winded Networkguy grin

I would say that if the friend could access the site at same time you couldn't, then the site definately isn't down.

NetworkGuy Sat 04-Jun-11 15:20:11

While the site clearly isn't down, I have known routing problems affect one client (connected via a different ISP) who cannot contact a web server, while my own access is fine to their website on that server.

The method I suggested would not only confirm the site was working, and should allow most activities (such as viewing different pages and searching the site, if not 'login' - which might fail), thus allowing her a temporary workaround to access the website, but also give her sufficient 'evidence' to contact her ISP technical support staff and allow her to ask why it does not work through the ISP 'direct' but can be made to work via the USA...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: