Talk

Advanced search

Advice for setting up and hosting a website

(7 Posts)
flier Tue 31-May-11 11:51:30

I've had a quote for £500+ from a company to set up a website for our charity, this would also include hosting for 2 years I think. However, I'd love to be able to set one up myself. It would just be a basic website with info on what is on in our village, a way of advertising the local village hall etc.

Would anyone be able to point me in the correct direction? I used to be pretty computer savvy...honest!

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Tue 31-May-11 17:20:21

HI FLIER - YOU COULD TRY TO DO YOUR OWN WEBSITE - I DID - ITS QUITE EASY BUT VERY TIME CONSUMING - BUT YOU CAN DO IT A PAGE AT A TIME & KEEP ADDING BITS AS YOU THINK OF THEM - JUST KEEP LOOKING AT IT & MAKE NOTES OF WHAT NEEDS CHANGING. THE WORST BIT IS WRITING OUT ALL YOU WANT TO SAY & YOU HAVE TO THAT ANYWAY IF YOU GET SOMEONE ELSE TO SET IT UP - I USE 1&1 WEBSITE BUILDER - BASIC PACKAGE COSTS ABOUT £1.99/MONTH - YOU PAY A YEAR UP FRONT & WHATEVER YOUR DOMAIN NAME COSTS - MAYBE £10 - YOU CAN SEE MINE AT www.hoburneholidayhomes.co.uk - I THINK IT LOOKS OK & WORKS FOR ME

flier Tue 31-May-11 19:44:39

Thanks Dollydaydreamer, I'll take a look.

NetworkGuy Tue 31-May-11 23:48:14

Google offers free site hosting from http://sites.google.com/

(and for small businesses you can get a domain name free too at www.gbbo.co.uk - GBBO = Get British Business Online)

Not sure if there's a problem for it being used by a charity, but you can get a .org.uk domain registered at www.123-reg.co.uk (other firms offer similar pricing) for about 7 pounds.

123-reg.co.uk offers the facility to go from www. and display (as a 'masked web redirect') some other web site address.

I suggest opening a new GMail account ( www.google.com/mail ) with your charity name, before you do anything else. Use it when you register the domain name with 123-reg for all contact, and for any mail forwarding if
asked.

Then visit the Google Sites pages, and use the GMail contact address again.

If you get stuck I am sure someone here will assist (or send me a PM if you don't see me here for a day or two - I have some work on this week).

DollyTwat Tue 31-May-11 23:53:47

try here for designing a website www.wix.com/new/account?

flier Wed 01-Jun-11 14:08:17

some excellent info here, thanks DollyTwat and Networkguy

SilkySilky Sun 19-Jun-11 08:59:00

Good advice here, and once up and running don't be afraid to find a basic page you like, save it, view 'source code' and edit in your own text and images. This is how I started a national charity web page when I had never even heard of html.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now