Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed quickly about new laptop hard drive

(11 Posts)
kid Sat 28-May-11 16:01:31

i've been quoted £100 to replace my broken laptops hard drive. They say the current is 160gb and they will install 500gb new hard drive plus load windows and extra programmes.

Does this sound like a fair price? If I decide not to get the new hard drive, they will charge me £35 for testing the computer. I'm meant to phone them back at 4 to let them know if I want it done or not.

niceguy2 Sat 28-May-11 17:10:12

500GB hard drives are about £50 trade price(ish) + delivery

If they are also reloading all your software then that will take at least a good couple of hours.

So I do think that's a fair price. If you get it back now, you are still looking at £35 + £50 + delivery

Hope that helps

kid Sat 28-May-11 20:00:18

I had to call them around 4 to let them know so I told them not to go ahead with the repair. They told me the cost of their HDD was £45 so they were going to charge me £55 for loading windows and fitting the HDD.
I am going to attempt to do it myself <gulp>

I just need to work out which one to buy, then I need to know where it's located on the laptop!
I do need it sooner rather than later as dh uses it for work, plus I'm about to start running my work's website so need to be able to produce documents to upload. I really don't want to buy a new laptop as I've got to pay my car insurance, car tax plus the balance for my holiday.

Fingers crossed I can fix it.

PersonalClown Sat 28-May-11 20:03:05

Try Googling/Yputubing your laptop make.

There are quite a few tutorials on how to replace parts of your laptop on there. It's how I did my keyboard.

PersonalClown Sat 28-May-11 20:03:44

And that's YOUtubing, of course.blush

lazydog Sun 29-May-11 00:47:06

Oh dear, too late, but I was going to say that that's a very reasonable price, assuming they were going to give it you back fully up to date (i.e. service packs and other critical OS updates) and with all necessary drivers installed. I charge the equivalent of about 70 quid labour for that ($100 CAD) plus the cost of the hard drive, and I'm considered cheap (in the nicest possible way grin )

kid Sun 29-May-11 06:54:17

Oh well, too late now
Anyway, his attitude stinks so I'm glad I've managed to inconvenience him. I won't be using that shop again and definitely won't be giving him my money!

kid Sun 29-May-11 09:59:00

lazydog
once the HDD has been replaced, would the recovery disc that came with the laptop work to install the programmes the laptop came with?
I'm guessing that it won't but I'd like it to!

niceguy2 Sun 29-May-11 11:04:26

Replacing the hard disk on most laptops is a fairly straightforward task.

The hard part is reinstalling Windows. If you have a recovery disk then hopefully most of the pain of reinstalling drivers is done for you. But the disk will only reinstall it to the point at which it came from the shop.

Any programs you installed since won't be there. Naturally neither will any personal data.

Not sure how much you were expecting a hard drive replacement to cost but the charges seemed fair to me.

kid Sun 29-May-11 11:25:23

I managed to save special photos before it crashed, other documents can be retrieved from email attachments or PC. I have lost a lot of work but it's nothing I can't live without.

I did do a search and saw a 500gb hard drive for £32. Not sure if I need a particular one or not though. I know a couple of people who are willing to have a look at my laptop so fingers crossed it will be up and running soon.
Still waiting for the shop to phone me to collect the laptop. They just said they'd phone me at some point. Looks like I'm expected to sit in waiting for them as they wouldn't/couldn't give me any idea of what time it would be.

I won't be using that shop for anything ever again and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone else either. Even if their price was fair, their customer services are awful.

kid Sun 29-May-11 12:45:02

Maybe he is a MNer!
He phoned a while ago and explained that the workshop misunderstood his message to not replace the hard drive so it's been done anyway. All programmes have also been installed.
So I have pay £35 for the testing which I had already agreed to pay plus £45 for the hard drive. They are not charging anything for fitting the drive or for loading everything on to it.

All I have to do now is try to remember how to do my wireless router and also sort out iTunes account and antivirus software. I'm sure I'll be able to do those. I can't wait to get it back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: