Talk

Advanced search

Please can someone help me? Which SIM card????

(13 Posts)
palazzo Sat 28-May-11 15:38:42

Hi

I am a techo-phobe and really need your help!

OK, I saw the sale on at the Carphonewarehouse and, having toyed over the past 6 months or so with getting an HTC Desire of some sort, saw the Desire Z for £200 sim free and bought it! It will be here on Tuesday (why oh why didn't I see it the day before and I would have it already sad)

Anyway, I only really use my current mobile for texting (UK and Spain) and taking photos and want to surf - Facebook, Twitter and emails mostly.

I know it is a large phone and I may decide to return it (hope not!) but if I do keep it what SIM do I get? Last time I paid any attention to these things all providers had coverage maps (it was about 15 years ago, I have been on Orange PAYG since then!) but they don't seem to have them now. I know that 3 and O2 don't work where I live and have considered Orange Dolphin package. I don't really want to spend more than £10 ideally, £15 at a push per month.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance smile

bubbles4 Sat 28-May-11 15:56:03

I have an HTC Wildfire on Vodafone PAYG and I put on £10 a month and get 300 texts and 500mb internet in addition to my £10 calling credit,have a look here

LunaticFringe Sat 28-May-11 16:00:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

palazzo Sat 28-May-11 16:07:07

Thanks. I know that Vodafone works in our house, not sure about T-Mobile. Any way of finding out without 1) buying a card or 2) finding someone who has T-Mobile?

palazzo Sat 28-May-11 16:15:56

bubbles - do you use your Facebook etc a lot? Do you ever have a problem with your limit? I don't use it at all at the moment so have no idea how much I'd use. (By the way, what is the camera like on the Wildfire and what do you think about the phone in general?)

If I decide to switch I just call Orange and ask for a code so I can transfer my number to Vodafone (or whoever) don't I?

bubbles4 Sat 28-May-11 16:29:23

I dont do facebook,but browse the internet most days.I have never gone over my limit but always make sure I am connected through the wifi when at home.I love my phone (would have liked a Desire but couldnt afford it at the time).The camera on the Wildfire is good,the major drawback of this phone is battery life but that seems to be the case with all smart phones,I just have to make sure I charge it at night.

palazzo Sat 28-May-11 16:54:45

Thanks. Is there a lag on the camera? I justified the Desire by the fact that I want to take photos of ds with it so don't need to buy a new compact camera. I read there was a delay between pressing the button and the shutter going on the Wildfire (it does on my current Samsung and drives me nuts!) and have read mixed reviews of the Desire. Shame I can't have a play with it before I decide whether to keep it or not ...

LunaticFringe Sat 28-May-11 16:55:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

niceguy2 Sat 28-May-11 17:07:47

If Vodafone works then you might want to consider TalkMobile who are owned by Carphonewarehouse. They use Vodafone's network.

For £8 a month you can get 200 mins, 500 Texts & 500MB Internet which is pretty good value. Text's abroad are 20p. Only 30 days commitment too so you can quit if you don't like it.

palazzo Sat 28-May-11 17:10:49

Thanks LunaticFringe. Off to have a look ...

NetworkGuy Sun 29-May-11 21:16:49

Just for info the > Ofcom Sitefinder < could be of interest (if not to OP, as the 'Everything Everywhere' merger of Orange with T-Mobile means there should be adequate coverage for a SIM card from either 'company' so finding best deal might be the main task).

palazzo Tue 31-May-11 13:24:56

Thanks niceguy2 and NetworkGuy. I think I have decided to 1)keep the HTC (yay!) and 2) go with Vodafone. I have been using my phone a bit this weekend and the reception around home is pretty patchy.

palazzo Tue 31-May-11 13:48:36

I should say - off to look at TalkMobile ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: