Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice on headphones

(5 Posts)
HighFibreDiet Thu 26-May-11 13:37:34

I want to get some headphones that I can use, and perhaps ds1 (9yo) as well. I want them to cost under 100 quid. I will be mostly listening to music from CDs, in the house, possibly while on my exercise bike. I want over-the-ear ones as I always find the in-ear ones uncomfortable (they seem too big to fit in my ears) and I don't care if they look stylish or not! The type that let you hear other stuff in the room would probably be appropriate as I don't necessarily want to block out the boys' cries for help while I'm exercising. grin

What should I be looking out for? What kind of frequency range is reasonable? I am nearly 40 so I would expect my hearing to have gone at certain frequencies, but I know that if I'm listening to stuff in the car I can often tell if high frequency bits are missing. (But we don't have a car at the moment so I can't check the specs this way.)

Waiting for a headphone geek to come along and tell me exactly what to buy!! Thanks.

niceguy2 Thu 26-May-11 14:42:38

To be honest I've had a couple of pair's of noise cancelling headphones and found them all to be a complete waste of money.

I now have a pair of simple in-ear Sennheiser's noise *isolating* headphones which cost me £15. I've used them on planes and found them to be way better than the cancelling ones. Plus I don't have to faff about with batteries.

The Sennheiser's came with different sized rubber earpieces so it was a case of just trying each size until i found the ones which best suited my ears.

I found the over head ones to be too bulky/heavy and got on my nerves for extended wear.

Not sure that helps you but there you go.

NetworkGuy Thu 26-May-11 22:56:31

Why would OP want noise cancelling ones, if HFD wants to hear if boys are in need of help ?

I could recommend phoning my friend's Hi-Fi shop but he'd probably recommend borrowing a pair and trying them (he's like that) as people need to relax with the headphones "on" for a while.

Have just seen the prices on his web site and the cheapest are 90, then Bose at 99 and others go up to 300+ <<yikes>> and they have the 1/4" jack, not a 3.5mm plug which a lot of portable players would use.

So, what socket will you plug into, and how long a cable would you need ?
Adaptors and extension 3.5mm male-to-female cables can be quite cheap...

Although the Sennheiser ones are a nice price they are ear-bud type, so it may be worth looking at these on Amazon: Sennheiser PMX 60 II Headphones which appear to be lightweight but won't go in the ear.

mranchovy Fri 27-May-11 00:37:14

Before you spend £££, check out the Sennheiser PX100 for about £26. Not as convenient for exercise as the neck-band PMX60s but the sound quality is superb.

HighFibreDiet Sat 04-Jun-11 23:45:00

Thanks so much for your responses. I am looking out for the PX100. I almost got one on ebay but I think I got outbid...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now