Talk

Advanced search

New wireless router needs modem?

(11 Posts)
Butterbur Sat 15-Jan-11 14:50:52

Have just bought a Netgear N600 WNDR3700, to replace old router. Apparently it needs a modem, according to the diagrams. I thought a modem was for dial-up lines, and with broadband you just need the router.

Do I need to buy a modem? Can I just use old router as a modem?

Help.

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 14:52:49

You don't need to buy a modem. Are you using it wirelessly or wired?

Butterbur Sat 15-Jan-11 15:31:23

Mostly wirelessly. May attach one or two things wired.

Have actually achieved internet access through it, by Ethernet connection. It's connected via old router,and I'm not sure which router is doing what.

SoupDragon Sat 15-Jan-11 15:32:53

My cable broadband comes into the modem and then out into my wireless router.

Butterbur Sat 15-Jan-11 16:18:32

Also has crappier signal strength than 10 year old Draytek.

prism Sat 15-Jan-11 16:41:10

Yes, you do need modem, unless you have cable broadband in which case you already have what is effectively a modem. This thing distributes the connection between several computers, but it doesn't connect to the phone line itself- it relies on some other device to connect it to the internet. If you can, you'd be better off taking this one back and getting an ADSL router (make sure it says "ADSL" somewhere on the box and avoid if it doesn't).

Niceguy2 Sat 15-Jan-11 17:08:38

Do Virgin supply your broadband? If not then you have the wrong device.

You need a "modem router" and not just "router"

See if you can take it back and swap. If you bought it over the net then you have 7 days to return under the distance selling regs

Butterbur Sat 15-Jan-11 17:34:02

Bugger. Is already more than 7 days. And I'll never get it back in the box looking like it did to start with.

Niceguy2 Sat 15-Jan-11 21:58:25

Not sure if it helps but technically its 7 working days, not calendar.

But you also are sometimes charged a restocking fee and of course its down to you to send it back.

Failing that, ebay?

prism Sat 15-Jan-11 23:19:03

And if you can't send it back get this:

www.ebuyer.com/product/226899

which will enable your current router to do its job.

Butterbur Sun 16-Jan-11 16:32:44

Actually it is working, using the old router as a gateway. I can't be arsed to get rid of it now. Thx for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: