Talk

Advanced search

My Belkin Router is not compatable with the Wii; what can I do?

(30 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 13:12:43

Do I buy a new router?

I have a Belkin, would BT give me a free router?

Help I'm a bit technically dim

Thanks wink

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 13:41:06

When you state it is not compatible, do you have some link to a post on a forum explaining why it is incompatible?

I don't have a Wii, so don't know any specific requirements, but if I were to suggest a replacement router (based on belief it is better / faster / more reliable than a Belkin) there would still be a chance of incompatibility if the Wii needed some (unspecified) feature. IYSWIM.

I really suspect that the Wii is perhaps unable to cope (let's say, for example, with WPA2) and thus won't connect properly, so it may be that with a change of settings on the Wii or the Belkin, a connection is quite possible, if not simple (only because the in -compatibility issue needs to be identified).

OgreTripletsAreSoCute Sat 08-Jan-11 13:46:29

Our Wii works with our Belkin router but I know nothing of the specifics, I'm afraid.

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 13:49:34

It's from this page

I think?

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 13:53:35

& perhaps pathetically I thought you could play DVD's on them hmmblush

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 13:57:33

DVDs sound like the Blueray player which is standard in the PS2/PS3 - I think.

(I have no XBox, PS<anything> or Wii, sad I know... still happy memories of the old Atari 2600!!)

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 13:58:36

So I have to watch them on my computer - damn

The TV is easier to see & the DVD player died

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 13:59:05

So which Belkin router do you have?

Not being listed can just mean the page is out of date.

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 13:59:49

F5D7632-4 .....apparently wink

Mutt Sat 08-Jan-11 14:07:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 14:08:27

Yes, & there is an error message 52030 - oh hang on I mistyped it into the Wii site

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 14:08:52

Oh no - I typed it right

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 14:11:46

So can you determine how to switch between WEP, WPA or WPA2 ? Have you seen the bit about troubleshooting the wireless connection...

[ Although I suggested WPA2 in my earlier post, I had not know the first bit of the 'troubleshooting' section (an earlier heading on the web page you linked to) first talks about WEP, etc. ]

gorionine Sat 08-Jan-11 14:11:50

I have a D-link too and works fine so I think it might just be that the page is out of date. Try your router and see?

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 14:13:41

[ sorry, listening to Any Answers as Mumsnet was suggested to have possibly orchestrated the complaints about EastEnders. ]

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 14:14:22

I have seen how to switch on the Wii but I didn't know I had too

Which should it be? or is it trial & error?

ivykaty44 Sat 08-Jan-11 14:18:23

Yes, & there is an error message 52030

nah your setting it up wrong, sorry but I am sure thats what is wrong, but go through the instruction carefully and click none set up not wireless set up

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 14:25:05

I read about that yesterday Network Guy - how's it going

I'm not sure I understand you IvyKate, do you mean manual setup?

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 14:30:01

I sure as hell don't understand your post, ivykaty - to set up with a wired router needs some adaptor to plug into the Wii [and an ethernet cable] so probably not an option without going off to the shops (and what's the point if both ends have wireless available!)

NetworkGuy Sat 08-Jan-11 14:32:59

No-one from MNHQ on phone, nor e-mail about it.

I sent BBC a snotty mail saying how Chairman usually invites calls from bodies or individuals but slipped up when there was this nasty accusation made against Mumsnet.

I will no doubt get an even snottier "don't question the Chairman's handling" response from some BBC Producer, thinking I will be suitably 'shut up' by it.

ivykaty44 Sat 08-Jan-11 19:50:23

sorry was in a rush earlier.

the error code you wrote katymac is the same error code that I got and it was due to the fact that I was trying to set up the wireless internet to the wii and doing it wrong.

When I read the instructions on the wii page of the website you linked to earlier, I tryed again to link the internet to the wii and it was succesful

Sorry network guy I can''t see that the internet is wired in katymacs case and therefore thought it was wireless.

When originaly setting up the wii and I did it wrong I had choosen the wireless option - that was my problem I needed to choice another option.

Follow the online instructions and it does make sense

these where instructions I followed -it was step 5 I went wrong and got the same error code as katymac, then read instruction and got it correct

KatyMac Sat 08-Jan-11 23:37:04

I'm working my way through it & my SSID has colons in it & there isn't a colon on the wii keyboard

NetworkGuy Sun 09-Jan-11 15:10:00

KM just change the SSID using the control panel on the router (accessed via your browser).

ivykaty - when I read "click none set up not wireless set up" from your post, I assumed you were suggesting KatyMac use non-wireless and therefore she'd have needed a cable and a Wii adaptor. I was just very confused by your post.

KatyMac Sun 09-Jan-11 20:16:50

I forgot my login blush

NetworkGuy Mon 10-Jan-11 10:09:26

Can tell you it is blush blush blush blush blush blush when visiting a client and unable to login to check something on my own web-based e-mail, or change a domain setting, let alone access their router [that I may have set up 8 years ago]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: