Talk

Advanced search

3G tablet - does such a thing exist?

(11 Posts)
bunjies Sat 01-Jan-11 20:26:23

I'd like a 3G enabled tablet that will allow me to access the internet without a contract, like the Amazon kindle 3G. Does such a thing exist?

geordieminx Sat 01-Jan-11 20:27:12

iPad?

bunjies Sat 01-Jan-11 20:43:35

Sorry, should have mentioned, nothing by Apple please!

Niceguy2 Sat 01-Jan-11 22:16:16

Samsung Galaxy Tab

It's not as good as the Apple and the screen is only 7" but it is 3G enabled. You can pick them up for £400 contract free but you can also get them "cheaper" if you commit to a contract.

bunjies Sun 02-Jan-11 09:32:35

I did wonder about the Galaxy Tab but could never find any mention about the 3g side of things.

Niceguy2 Sun 02-Jan-11 10:28:00

It definitely supports 3G if that's your bag.

One of the better tablets but personally I am not a big fan of the 7" screen size. I had a netbook with a similar sized screen and I hated it.

That said, it does make it much more pocketable.

bunjies Sun 02-Jan-11 18:54:03

If I'm honest I like the idea of a tablet but think a netbook or laptop would be more practical as to be able to play dvds would be useful. The main reason for 3G capability is that I'm going to be living somewhere for a few months without a broadband connection and don't want to fork out on a 12m contract.

Any suggestions for a laptop or netbook with 3G?

geordieminx Sun 02-Jan-11 23:20:14

Is there a reason for the apple-phobia? It's just an iPad fits the bill for everything you have specified... I absolutely adore mine.... Dh hates it though...because it's apple

Niceguy2 Mon 03-Jan-11 01:22:29

Just get any decent make of laptop and buy a seperate 3G USB dongle. Make sure you check with the network provider that 3g is actually available in the area you are going to first. If they don't have 3G and only the slower network then its really not worth it.

bunjies Mon 03-Jan-11 10:49:30

I'm with your dh geordieminx. It's just a personal thing grin.

Thanks Niceguy. Didn't realise you could buy 3G dongles. I've got a T-Mobile PAYG one from the last time I had to do this but it cost me £15 a month and had download limits.

Niceguy2 Mon 03-Jan-11 13:34:28

They all have limits. The PAYGO ones are the lowest but that's hardly a surprise.

To be frank they're a bit naff and no replacement for real broadband. But if you only need it temporarily then it might work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now