Talk

Advanced search

Did you get an iPad for Christmas?

(13 Posts)
YunoYurbubson Thu 30-Dec-10 11:06:45

I did. I feel as though I don't quite get it.

I want to love it and have it change my life for the better. I really don't want to be an ungrateful old cowbag.

So far it seems a bit like my laptop, only smaller and not quite as good.

What am I missing??? Why is it so briliant?

LovePinkBitsOfMyHorse Thu 30-Dec-10 11:09:48

I did, I like it because only had iPhone for Internet before - well that is not true, I just couldn't be bothered to excavate laptop from the crap on my desk.

I don't know what sort of sim to get for it though, are they monthly contracts or can you get the sort you just top up now and then?

NetworkGuy Thu 30-Dec-10 17:31:34

Just be sure yours is a model taking a micro SIM before you start any contract!

Niceguy2 Thu 30-Dec-10 18:28:08

Yuno

The ipad is indeed like a smaller laptop which is not quite as good.

It all depends on what you expect from it.

I love mine because the battery life is at least 8-9 hours. Means I can now truly not have to worry about charging it all the time. I recently flew to Africa watching movies on it.

It's instant on. So perfect for sitting on the coffee table for those moments when you just want to find a bit of information quickly. No need to wait for it to boot up.

You don't have to worry about viruses, security updates (most of the time).

I can surf the web, listen to music, check my emails and watch videos from one device. Last month I went to London on the train with just my ipad. Didn't even take the work laptop as I just collected the mail on the ipad.

I've installed Pulse Newsreader (free). This allows me to very quickly update myself on a lot of sites I regularly read such as BBC News, HotdealsUK, a couple of gadget sites and ofc Facebook. This saves me a load of time from having to go to each site and read them. I just see the latest updates.

Oh and finally two more words. Angry Birds! Nuff said.

clayre Thu 30-Dec-10 18:33:26

mines is currently alone in the kitchen due to it nearly giving me a nervous breakdown, i will try again later to understand it!!

bytheMoonlight Thu 30-Dec-10 18:36:04

Does anyoone ever feel unsafe when getting an iPad out in public?

llareggub Thu 30-Dec-10 18:37:16

No. I'm waiting for the ipad 2, due in January or March, no-one is sure.

Millie1 Thu 30-Dec-10 23:15:50

I got one too and love it. Although I'm still trying to work it out. Can't get Iplayer to work, for example - might nee d to download something, don't know! Have discovered Angry Birds .... grin

LovePinkBitsOfMyHorse Thu 30-Dec-10 23:19:29

Sometimes I make the public feel unsafe but that has nothing to do with my iPad. Are they really any more nickable than a laptop? Doesn't 'find my ipad' give you the same remote wipe and disable functions as 'find my iphone'?

Niceguy2 Thu 30-Dec-10 23:24:23

lol @ clayre. You are welcome to pop by my house and my 3 year old can teach you how to use it! He's a bit of a whizz at it wink

bytheMoonlight I don't generally get it out in 'public'. I do on a train/plane which I guess is public but then most people have laptops around which are similarly priced anyway.

Millie1 BBC Iplayer should just work. In Safari, just go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer At least that's what works for me. Dunno when they did it but the Beeb seem to have encoded most, if not all their stuff in Quicktime now too so the ipad should work fine.

clayre Fri 31-Dec-10 10:49:07

Niceguy2 both my dc loved it too!!

I bet your 3 year old cant get it to update, it says when connected to the netbook it wants to update to 4.2 (or something) so i try and wait and wait then it decideds it needs more space on the disk (eh?) so we have taken nearly everything off the netbook, added more memeory and its still not bloody happy,so it was int he kitchen having some 'space'!!!!!

Niceguy2 Fri 31-Dec-10 11:05:48

Hi Clayre

Well the new 4.2.1 update is about 550MB. So lets assume you need to backup the ipad, download the update, install iTunes.

I'd say you need at least 20GB free on your netbook disk. (Assuming 16GB for your ipad and its full).

Millie1 Fri 31-Dec-10 12:53:26

Niceguy2 - I tried it again and it doens't. It does bring the quicktime symbol up on screen, it whizzes around for 30 seconds, then I get a message saying I can't run that programme. I guess I'll just have to phone Apple.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: