Talk

Advanced search

Laptop screen not working

(8 Posts)
MollieO Mon 13-Dec-10 21:05:01

Has just gone dark and won't come back on. One of the hinges broke a while ago so I've been careful not to open and close it just in case it had some effect.

Is it capable of being repaired? If so where do I take it and how much should it cost? It is a Toshiba 17" laptop about 6 yrs old.

MollieO Mon 13-Dec-10 22:22:51

Pleading bump.

Niceguy2 Mon 13-Dec-10 22:26:38

There are lots of laptop repair companies out there. But to be perfectly honest if its 6 years old, its not really worth it.

If you have insurance, now's a good time to tell them about it if the hinge broke as a result of say being dropped.

You can still get the data (photos, documents etc) off by either plugging in a monitor or if you have a techie friend, by removing the hard disk.

Good luck.

Simbacatlives Mon 13-Dec-10 22:26:49

Back light possibly gone. Do you have an external monitor? Plug it in and see if it comes on.

You can replace- can be quite expensive. Mine went after 12 months (Sony) I have it on a monitor as battery went as well.
If you can faintly see the screen in bright light it will be the backlight.

MollieO Mon 13-Dec-10 22:37:49

I do have a monitor so I can check tomorrow (not connected to laptop). When I turn it on the screen changes from black to grey. Would prefer to get it repaired if not to expensive as don't have the dosh for a new one.

Niceguy2 Tue 14-Dec-10 00:30:09

Thing is, the screen is an expensive item to replace. Plus with it being 6 years old, you will probably struggle to find the replacement parts.

So you'll probably find quote are in the hundreds, rather than less. Hence why I don't think its really worth repairing.

Sorry

MollieO Tue 14-Dec-10 12:10:55

Thanks for that.I'm hoping it will work with the monitor although it seems I have to do a system restore to get it to work at all.

I will get an external storage thingy and copy over what I want to save and then save my pennies for a new laptop after Christmas.

MollieO Tue 14-Dec-10 12:46:41

Ok system restore done. Couldn't get computer to stay on in normal mode but okay in safe mode. Couldn't do anything in safe mode so decided to reboot. Now my laptop screen is working as is the rest of the computer. Has scared me enough to get an external back up sorted but all seems very weird to me [no idea about computers emoticon]. If Network guy or an other computer person can explain I'd be grateful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: