Talk

Advanced search

SLR camera

(17 Posts)
garrowismylaw Fri 10-Dec-10 20:36:42

can anyone recommend a SLR camera about £250. Have searched around but they are all too expensive.

jade80 Fri 10-Dec-10 20:38:40

Olympus e410 is great, not sure of price on ebay?

MeMudmagnet Fri 10-Dec-10 20:40:10

Have you thought about a getting a reconditioned one, or secondhand from a reputable dealer?
Did you particulally want an slr or would a bridge camera do the job? They tend to be cheaper

ClaireDeLoon Fri 10-Dec-10 20:41:34

The problem with slr's is it isn't just the body to buy it's the lenses on top. MeMudmagnet suggestion of a good quality bridge camera is a very good one.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 10-Dec-10 20:45:29

something like this maybe?

MeMudmagnet Fri 10-Dec-10 20:48:05

I'd do your homework before you buy too.
Read plenty of reviews on the internet and find somewhere you can get your hands on the model to try it out.

garrowismylaw Fri 10-Dec-10 22:09:07

all help has been great...but
a) don't know what this 'bridge' means
b) refuse to buy online cos no garauntee with snow that it will get here in time for xmas
c) would consider secondhand but person for who pressie is intended HATES seconhand

ClaireDeLoon Fri 10-Dec-10 22:19:03

Bridge camera is between a dSLR (where you have a camera body and lenses you can change) and a digital compact.

A decent but basic dSLR will be £400 up with basic kit lenses. And what type you get for that (most popular choices are canon and nikon I would think) is a very personal choice, how the camera feels in your hand, whether or not the lenses are any good etc.

Kaloki Fri 10-Dec-10 22:19:52

Try looking for a Canon EOS 300D or 350D, they should be around that price now (hopefully with lens), I have the 300D and it is lovely to use. There is also the 400D, though that might be a bit more than you wanted to spend.

Bridge cameras, sometimes known as prosumer, are similar to SLR's but don't have changeable lenses.

The Fuji bridge cameras are really good. Eg. FinePix

MeMudmagnet Fri 10-Dec-10 22:23:27

A bridge camera is midway between a compact and an slr. Unless you need/want an slr it can be a good compromise. A fairly portable camera with the option on manual controls. It won't however have the option of changing lenses and the control will be limited.

If the person in question doesn't DO secondhand, try a refurbished, they'd never know wink would come with warranty and all.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Fri 10-Dec-10 22:27:43

second the e410. It is realy goog. cant remember wyh though

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Fri 10-Dec-10 22:28:39

bugger. good and why. oh and really.

garrowismylaw Fri 10-Dec-10 22:50:28

will look these up thanks all

Niceguy2 Mon 13-Dec-10 10:48:19

£250 is too little for a dSLR.

May I suggest the Canon Powershot SX210IS which is a bridge camera. Has plenty of manual features, big zoom and takes fantastic shots.

Quite a few dSLR owners carry this as a backup camera for situations where we can't be bothered with the bulk of the SLR.

MmeLindt Mon 13-Dec-10 13:34:17

I have a Nikon D40 which is a great starter SLR - you can get them on eBay around £200-300

I have just bought my DD Nikon L110 and am very impressed by it. The zoom is fantastic and the picture quality great for a camera that price.

garrowismylaw Mon 13-Dec-10 20:45:50

Think i'm going to have to look into these bridge cameras, thanks.

A new Sony Alpha A290 can be picked up for under £300 with a basic (?) lens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now