Talk

Advanced search

can I paste a .pdf file into an email (ie in the body of the email, not as attachment)?

(11 Posts)
AlphaSchmalpha Wed 08-Dec-10 10:48:06

and if so, how?

I have tried "copy file to clipboard" option in Acrobat, but can't see how to paste it into the email (r click and paste doesn't work). Acrobat offers a "paste into email" option but that relates to Outlook and I don't use Outlook for email.

Thanks in advance!

BadgersPaws Wed 08-Dec-10 11:08:21

Can you highlight the bits of the PDF that you want, do a copy and then paste into your email.

Things like formatting and graphics may very well not work though. PDFs can do things that the body of an email can't.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 08-Dec-10 11:11:08

Hi BadgersPaws - thanks for helping out with another of my technical queries! I lose the image if I try to highlight, I can only copy the text and not the pretty picture.

Thanks anyway.

BadgersPaws Wed 08-Dec-10 11:28:02

Yes that's right.

If you want the image and just the image what you could do is to do a screen grab, crop down the resulting image and then attach that to your email.

How to do that will vary according to what machine you're on. If you want to know how then are you using Windows or Mac?

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 08-Dec-10 11:53:43

Thanks again Badger, yes I'd like to know how to do that please. I use Windows.

BadgersPaws Wed 08-Dec-10 14:41:07

OK view the PDF, make it as big as possible.

Then press the "Print Screen" button, it might be something like "Prt Sc" on your keyboard and might need an extra keypress if you're on a laptop.

Then try pasting into your email if you're using anything other than a web browser based email.

Or bring up whatever graphic package you're used to using, Paint if nothing else, Paste into that and crop down to the bit of the image you want. Then save as a file and attach that to your email.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 08-Dec-10 14:55:03

ah - because my email is web browser based, it won't work will it? I need it to go in the body of the email, not as an attachment unfortunately.

thanks anyway for your help, really appreciate it.

festivecoatgate Wed 08-Dec-10 14:59:01

Insert, object, browse to the file you want, then makes sure you click the Display as icon box. Well it works for me.

BadgersPaws Wed 08-Dec-10 15:17:51

Certain browser based email packages might have a way of doing it.

Certainly it's technically possible to have a HTML email referencing images that are included as attachments.

But yes it will be trickier with a browser based email service.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 08-Dec-10 15:18:33

thanks festive, but I don't have an option to insert an object nor do I have a display as icon option. Bloody hotmail.

prism Wed 08-Dec-10 16:35:59

The thing about this is that the way it appears to the other person depends on the way their email software is set up and there's nothing you can do about it. Some mail programs display PDFs "inline", ie you see the PDF within the message just as it would appear if you opened it separately, and whether that happens depends on the mail program and how it is set up. If it's not set up that way the PDF will appear as an openable attachment and that's all. So if you're using a PDF within an email message all you can do is attach it and hope for the best- if it doesn't look right at the other end it's not your fault.

As BP says, you can make the mail program display it the way you want with HTML, but even then it may not work (depending on the mail program at the other end) and it's much more complicated to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now